Chapter Five: Welcome Home

Hey guys!  Sorry for the long wait!  If you haven't read on my page, I've published my FBI Damsel (Minus the Distress) story!  Like, for real!  It's available for sale (only 2.99) for Amazon Kindle!  

Anywho, here's the new chapter.  Let me know what you think of it! <3XDee

--------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Tony

I took Sophie away from Steve, aware of how close she was determined to be with him already. Dangerous things happen to those who choose to fall in love with an Avenger. Pepper alone was proof of that. I'd gotten most of the Extremis out of her body, but she was still going to have certain symptoms and bouts of anger. I was going to prevent that as much as I could help it. Sophie smiled softly before I led her out into the packed room.

Sharon was the first to greet us. She reached out to help Sophie walk, but was rejected. I offered to have them sit near each other, but it seemed Sophie wasn't as interested in her cousin as I thought she'd be. Carol and Jessica, aka Captain Marvel and Spiderwoman, waited patiently for Clint to introduce his future bride. Their first mission was Sophie's last.

"There are a lot of people here. If it ever becomes too much to handle, let me know," I whispered. The need for reclusion after I had been captured was still fresh in my own mind.

"We're Stark's. Being around people is supposed to be refreshing and give us energy, right? We're known for coming back with a bang," she replied.

I forced a smile. "Yeah. That's what it is to be a Stark."

She reached out to hug Rhodey. I patiently walked with her until she had personally greeted every person in the room. Now, I say patiently, but Pepper's constant muttering for me to calm down said another story. We finished our walk around the room with Skye and Phil. A waiter passed by with champagne. I chugged a glass before taking another to sip on. Pepper attempted to take it from me, but I silently fought her for it.

"You need to slow down," she growled.

"Bite me," I teased. She rolled her eyes.

Sophie leaned into me. "Dad, Skye has offered to take me to a safe house. There's a cabin Shield uses – actually, Bruce built it. She said Steve stayed there after he thawed out, and she even stayed a night or two there. It should prove peaceful and help me acclimate to the outside world again."

"Oh, no. I know what you're talking about. Ever since a certain someone, who shall remain nameless, destroyed half the forest around it, it's not as safe as when she stayed there. Locals have managed to get close enough to the boundary to cause concern." I eyed Skye. I heard of her new powers. She might know how to control them, but I wasn't about to let her take Sophie from me any time soon.

"Dad?" Sophie noticed my glare. She turned to examine her old friend. "Skye, you said some crazy stuff went down. I think now's the time to elaborate?"

"Oh, um, well it turns out my mom is Inhuman and so are Lincoln and I and – it's a super long story, but now I can feel, hear, and manipulate the frequency of everything around me," she explained. Her short bob swayed back and forth against her cheeks. Behind her, in the shadows, her newest 'bestie' prowled about.

"Oh. That's cool."

"They even game me a nickname. I'm 'Quake'," she added excitedly.

Sophie lit up. "I want a nickname! What should mine be? Something with shadows – since, you know, that's what I do. Nothing about darkness, though. Dad, how did you get stuck with Iron Man?"