Chapter 17: First Day

Sophie

"Typically we don't hire people on the spot. We'd make you go through multiple interviews, and look into your credentials. However, yours are impressive and we know your background well enough to not question," Ron, my new manager, explained as he walked me around the store. "We did wonder, however, why you chose to work here? Doesn't your dad own a company that would pay you thousands?"

I laughed nervously. "Yeah, well, I've gotta venture out on my own, ya know?"

He nodded in agreement. "Okay, so we're mostly in the back. A lot of people in Manhattan go for more expensive fixes, or they hire someone to do it. If we need to drive to a location, we'll have at least two people go. Too many liabilities if it ends up in a lawsuit and we only have one voice."

"Fair enough."

"We've actually got four house calls today. You need to watch a couple of videos in the back before I can let you do any real work. You can come with me to the 2 o'clock on. It's in upper Manhattan, which is usually sent to our other branch closer but they're booked today."

"Lucky us."

"Right?"

It was difficult to tell if he understood my sarcasm or not. I was too used to Clint and Bethany playing along to know if normal people actually get it. As we were walking towards the back, we were interrupted by a man in a very fancy suit and tie.

"I'm sorry, can we help you?" Ron asked.

The man smiled, ignoring him completely. "Miss Stark. I'm sorry I missed you the other day at my office. I'm afraid I've been a bit... busy."

I hesitated. "Um, it's okay?"

"My assistant was a little late in alerting me you had made a visit until just this morning. My invitation might be a little last minute, but I came to invite you to a Gala my company is throwing on Wednesday night."

"Oh, Wednesday?" Ron interrupted. "Sorry, but Sophie, here, will be working until eleven."

The man – I couldn't remember his name – slowly turned to look at my manager, a scowl on his face. "And who are you?"

He grinned. "Ron Davis, sir! I'm head tech on the Geek Squad here in-"

"Shut it, Ronald."

"Actually, it's just Ron."

The man didn't reply and instead turned back to me. "Will you be joining us, Miss Stark?"

"Like he said, I'll be working."

The man clicked his tongue. "No, that won't do. This needs to be sorted out. I'll have my people stop by later to work things out."

"But I-"

"Enjoy your day, Tina McCall." He used my first name. No one knows my first name, unless they have access to my physical license and birth certificate. I wasn't even sure if Ron knew it, and I'd handed him the very papers only this morning. Who was this man? Why couldn't I remember his name?

"Very strange." Ron stared after my visitor with hands on his hips. "Hm. Anyway, I need to get you started on those videos now, if I'm going to have you come with me on that trip. They're mostly..."

Steve

Clint and Sam convinced me to go for a run. It would get my mind off the missing ambassador. Natasha, Sharon and I had been pouring over every possible outcome and lead possible all weekend. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It was as irritating as when we couldn't find Sophie.