Chapter Twenty-Two: Anger Builds

Hey, all!  Hope this wasn't too long of a wait!  Enjoy! XDee

-------------------------------------------------------

Steve

I pushed the bike a little faster. Sharon shouted over my shoulder for me to slow down. I pretended not to hear her over the wind. Avenger's tower loomed closer.

"Remind me how they found this guy?" I asked. Nat answered in my earpiece.

"He was found on a road a few miles from where the plane was suspected to have gone missing. A civilian picked him up and brought him to the embassy, where they contacted us."

"And he's not the Prime Minister?"

"Unfortunately, no. He's a member of his security, so he would've been on the plane."

"Any more info?"

"Not yet. We're waiting on everyone to show up."

I put the motorcycle in park and waited for Sharon to hop off, first. We raced to the interrogation room that was towards the middle of the building. Mockingbird, Hawkeye, Natasha, and Sam were congregating just outside of the room.

"Well? Who's spoken to him yet?"

"We were waiting for you two and Bucky to show up."

I frowned. "I doubt he's coming. Sam, Hawk, let's go in and see what we can find out."

"Hold on," Sharon stopped us. "Why shouldn't any of us girls go in? He's too shocked to be any danger to us, even if we couldn't hold our own."

"We're gonna play good cop-bad cop," Clint smirked.

Mockingbird raised an eyebrow. "Are we the bad cops?"

"You're the baddest bitches I've ever met." He gave his wife a wink before leading the way into the room.

The man was a mess. Clothes were torn, blood stained his face and arms. Whatever happened, there was definitely a fight that took place.

"Can we get someone to clean him off, at least?" I asked through the intercom. Natasha's arm popped through the door with a wet towel. I made to grab it, but instead she tossed it in my face. I muttered a thank you and handed the poor guy the towel.

"Thanks," he mumbled.

"Are you ready to talk about what happened on the plane?" Sam asked, getting straight to the point.

"Honestly, I'm not sure what did happen." The man scrunched his face while trying to recall what happened. "Everything was fine, we had just crossed the Canadian border when the pilot came over the intercom and said we needed to make an emergency landing."

"Was something wrong with the plane?" Clint inquired.

He shook his head. "No, not that I know of. It wasn't our normal plane, see. At first we were supposed to take our normal one, the one reserved for the Prime Minister. But, about an hour before we were supposed to take off they switched us to the plane we ended up on."

I sat forward in my chair with my elbows on the table. "Did they tell you why you had to switch?"

The man struggled to remember more. "I think there was something wrong with the engines? Or maybe it was the wing? Or landing gear?"

"You're not sure?" Clint asked.

"No. It was something to do with the equipment, I think." The man shook his head. "I'm sorry I'm not more useful, but I can't seem to remember anything after they announced we'd be landing. One of my guys, my second in command, he went up front to speak to the captain about what was wrong with the new plane we were on. I remember the plane shaking a bit, but then it all goes black."