Twenty-Three: Everyone's Busy

Hey, y'all!  I know it's been a while, but I've got another chapter for ya!  This chapter gave me a better direction for how I want this story to go, so that's good! lol  I really hope y'all enjoy and happy holidays!  XDee

---------------------------------------------------------

Tony

"Dad? What brings you here?" Eden asked. She sat up in disbelief from her bed and held her arms out for a hug. I couldn't help noticing the bandages wrapped around them.

"I'm here to check up on you! I received your email and grew slightly concerned about those burns." I grabbed an arm to check it out. Tiny lines covered her skin, much like a regular tattoo would. Under the bandages her arms had lost the burns I'd seen the night before.

"Well? Are you satisfied?" she teased.

"Show me." I let go and crossed my arms.

"What?"

"Show me. I want to know that it works." I nodded my head for her to do as I asked. Begrudgingly, she obliged. Raising her left hand, she opened her palm to the sky and it was covered in a blue suit, much like the one Ant-man wore. By closing her fist it faded back into her skin.

"It's not complete, obviously. It's taking a lot longer than we anticipated, but I'd rather it take longer and everything goes well than have something mess up and my arm explode." She lowered her eyes and eyed her girlfriend hiding in the corner. "Gerry isn't too thrilled about this whole process. She thinks I'm being ridiculous."

"You are," I agreed. Her head snapped up.

"What? I'm doing this for you."

"No you're not. I never asked for you to do this. You're a nurse, and that's a job I couldn't do. You're better than any superhero I know."

Eden shook her head. "We both know that's not true. At least not the part about you not being able to be a nurse."

"That's-" She put up her finger to shush me.

"You might not have asked me to do this directly, but I know it's what you wanted. Sophie is special, and I wasn't. Now you don't have to worry about me; I can handle myself. Since you found me I've never been in more danger, but I wouldn't change it for the world. My mom and step-dad are ok with all this. So, how bad could it be? Dr. Pym has done extensive research on all of this. He's got plenty of other doctors and a few scientists around just in case something goes wrong. And let me tell ya, my step-dad is a strong Irish Catholic cop. He doesn't believe mutants are natural, and even wants to be rid of them. For me to do this – essentially turning me into one- and for him to be okay with it? That really says something."

I thought for a second. "You are all crazy. Every last one of you."

"I only want to be more important than nothing!" she admitted. "Next to Sophie, I was nothing."

"You've got middle child syndrome," I groaned. None of the women in my life were making things easy for me. It was a shame I didn't have a known son, like Geek. I could handle a kid like him.

"Tony, we appreciate yer concern, but yer not goin' to change 'er mind. Trust me, I've tried," Gerry said, joining us. She weaved her hand with Eden's.

"And I thought you had the most sense."

"Oh, I think 'er heid's full o' mince. Wot she's doin' is the looniest thing I've heard 'er say. 'er mam wouldn't be as happy as she's sayin'. Not if she saw 'er burns and heard how she's been talkin' like she's well radge." She kissed her on the cheek. "But, I promised to take care of 'er, and I'm goin' to keep that promise."