Chapter 9: Jealousy

Sophie

Music was thumping nearby. I opened my eyes and stretched; Steve was already up. He was probably working out in the living room. I grinned, recalling how we had done nothing more than cuddled all night. After pretending to fall asleep, I stayed up to watch him. He was truly beautiful. Thinking I had time to get ready, I slowly walked to the bathroom and washed my face. Not two minutes later, he came bursting through the door, making me scream and drop my toothbrush.

"I have something I want to show you!" he beamed. His blue eyes shone brightly in the morning light.

"What? At eight in the morning?" I yawned.

"Come here!"

"I'm not going anywhere else!"

He laughed, taking both hands in his as we slowly revolved in the quiet living room. It was calming, to be able to hold him like this. A familiar song came on the stereo next.

"Steve... you didn't."

He grinned. "I did."

"The Contours, Do you love me?" I laughed.

"I wanted to show you that when you were gone, while we were... apart, I took some dance lessons from Sharon. That's honestly what we did half the time. I can dance now! Watch!"

He pushed me away, pulling us back together seconds later while doing some impressive steps with his feet. He showed off his new talent for half of the song before we returned to simple slow dancing. As we did, a darkness began to fill my mind and heart. All this anger was new to me. I'd been angry before, but this was stronger and came faster than ever in my life.

"So?" he asked. I pulled away, the smile fading from my face completely. "What's wrong? I-I practiced! I can dance with you! Remember – Christmas! A-and New Year's! And the first time we met, we danced to Elvis!"

"I remember. You certainly can dance now," I grumbled.

"Soph... what's wrong?" he asked, grabbing my arm so I couldn't go back to the room.

"Four fvck!ng years in that hell, and all the while you were 'dancing' with my cousin?" I seethed.

His excitement dissipated. "Sophie, you know that's not what-"

"I'm starting to wonder exactly what did happen while I was gone. What? You set up a search for my face through every computer, satellite, camera, and phone possible through SHIELD, and had Friday do the same through any other means, then sat back and waited for a green light to go off? Every now and then, you'd send out a search party to make yourselves feel better?" I shook my head, backing away. "I'm impressed that you can dance now. It did make me happy. But not so much anymore. I'm sorry, I need to be alone right now."

His head dropped. I went to the room and put on my clothes from the night before. Instead of facing him again, I slipped out the window, using the fire escape to reach my car. My blood was boiling. There was one way I could think of to get rid of the aggression I was currently experiencing.

A figure jumped from the second story to land beside me. "Where are you going?"

I continued unlocking the car. "I can't stand it anymore. I need to beat someone up. They've kept me locked up in the mansion these few days that I've been back, treating me like a child or a ticking time bomb even worse than before. I need to get out. Stretch my legs, bust up some faces."

"Yay!" Wade cheered next to me. "I love a good brawl! Who're we aiming for? Druggies? Teens staying out past curfew? The police? DOWN WITH THE-"