Chapter Thirty-Eight: Assemble!

I know this one is kind of on the short side, but I didn't want to add the next part, because that would've made it a ridiculously long chapter.  Enjoy! XDee

---------------------------------------------------

Sophie

Skye joined Bucky and I for breakfast so we could catch up. I stared at the ring on my finger, a little in shock that it happened. Skye kept asking questions, but I was clearly distracted, so Bucky began answering for me. I had no idea how these pockets of joy keep infiltrating our hectic lives. If I'm honest, I don't think I'd have lasted long without them.

"You're telling me that you have a brother, who may or may not be alive?" Skye pushed my shoulder to bring me back to the conversation.

"Who?"

Bucky laughed and rubbed my back. "Levan. Or Geek, whatever his name is."

"Oh, yeah... did anyone tell you guys what the plan is? Because I haven't heard anything," I changed subjects. The thought that he might not be alive was a little too much right now.

"Yeah, SHIELD is monitoring for any sign of Doom, Bethany, Geek, le Fay, Alicia, and the Master. As soon as we get a hit, we're going to send out an alarm to everyone. My team is going to watch his company's building, Captain Rogers is leading a team to hang out around that warehouse the gala was held at, and your dad, Stark, is going to do random sweeps from above. It might be a while before anything happens," Skye explained. She downed the rest of her orange juice, just as Clint entered the patched up kitchen.

"Time to suit up. Skye, your team is waiting for you on your jet. Barnes and Sophie-"

"I'm not sitting back on this one," I interrupted.

He smiled. "We don't expect you to. We're going to have the two of you go out as bait. Pretend you're blissfully unaware of everything, and the Fantastic Four will meet up with you by 4pm by the north entrance of Central Park if we haven't seen anything. Hopefully he'll be tempted to put his plan into action."

"I don't want her to be used as bait," Bucky stated.

I raised my hand. "I'm fine with that! What I'm worried about is the X-men coming after me. I still haven't been able to apologize-"

"Don't worry about them," Skye assured. "I've been able to speak with the Professor, and we've reached an agreement."

"What kind of agreement?" I asked skeptically.

She shrugged. "Well, basically, if you ever have kids that happen to have powers, they go to his school."

"Hold on-"

"Now wait a minute-" Both Bucky and I stood up to object, sending Skye and Clint into a fit of laughter.

"Relax! They're not going to keep them! This isn't a Rumpelstiltskin situation, I promise! He just wants to be able to help them grow and learn their powers and stuff," Clint guaranteed.

I narrowed my eyes in skepticism. "They'd have to fight me if they try any funny business."

Skye pat my shoulder. "I promise, nothing will happen to your metaphorical children. Now go get dressed."

We're not even married, and I'm already defensive over my unborn children with Bucky. I walked with him up to my room in the mansion, so we could both change into regular walking clothes. I had considered putting my fighting suit underneath, but I remembered I could call a suit my dad made for me with my bracelet. I watched Bucky pull his shirt off on the other side of the bed. I admired the muscles on his back, drifting off into my own imagination. Boy, the things I could do to that man...

And now I'm going to have the rest of our lives to start on that checklist. I was still half dressed, with my pants off and the dress I was going to wear laid on the bed in front of me.

"Soph... you okay?" Bucky's hand caressing my cheek brought me back to reality.

"Yeah, just, uh, ya know. Daydreaming," I admitted.

He smirked. "Thinking about those kids Skye mentioned?"

"Maybe," I grinned, hoping he didn't notice me blushing. He slowly wrapped his arms around me and placed gentle kisses on my neck.

"How much time-" I was interrupted by someone banging on my door. Eden's voice came from the other side.

"Sophie! Da' wanted me to check if you were ready?"

Bucky groaned behind me. I laughed and called back to Eden, "Yeah, just putting on my shoes!"

I got dressed, slipped my hand into Bucky's and, together, we headed downstairs. Skye must have already left with the SHIELD team, since the jet was gone. My dad was getting ready to fly with Sam, Bobbi, Eden, Parker, and Pepper. Wanda, Wade, and Dr. Strange all agreed to keep a close eye on Bucky and I, in case we get attacked out of nowhere.

Before my group took off for our stroll, a familiar car pulled into the driveway. I was having a great day, and decided that it would be best to forgive and forget.

Steve

Sophie and Bucky walked outside, just as Sharon pulled up. They made eye contact, Sharon frozen half out of her car. After what felt like ages, Sophie finally smiled and walked towards us.

"Sharon! I'm so sorry for how rude I've been!" Sophie apologized as she pulled her into a hug. Sharon visibly relaxed and almost seemed to melt into her "cousin's" embrace.

"Nothing to be sorry about. I was basically flirting with Steve while searching for you. I didn't mean to, and never had any intentions of doing anything, but I can see how-"

"Shut up. I told Steve I knew that if you two had met, you'd be better off with each other. Besides, I don't think he could handle me," Sophie laughed.

"And you think Sergeant Barnes can?" she teased.

"Well, he is-"

"Okay, okay, that's enough from you two," I stepped in. Sophie smirked at me as she wrapped her arms around Bucky's waist. He smirked as we made eye contact.

"Are the two of you ready?" Wanda asked as she approached with Dr. Strange and Wade. The first two were dressed in regular street clothes. Wade, on the other hand, was dressed head-to-toe in black. The black pants, shirt, shoes, and leather jacket could all be considered normal. However, the widow's veil adorned on his head couldn't be easily explained away.

Wanda noticed me taking in Wade's outfit. "It's better than the dress he was wearing, trust me."

"I believe you," I mumbled.

"Like what you see?" Wade winked.

I raised my hands and backed away. "No, thank you. Sharon, you coming with my team?"

She tried to hide her laughter as she jogged to the SUV waiting for us. She shared a look with Natasha and they laughed. These women are nearly impossible to understand.

"All right, are we ready to go?" I asked as I took my place in the driver's seat. Natasha was in the passenger seat next to me, with Clint, Bruce, and Sharon in the backseat. They nodded in response, knowing that we were that much closer to closing two cases simultaneously.