Chapter 7: You Can't Handle the Truth

This chapter is a bit on the short side, but it's a serious one (Sorry 'bout that).  But, hey, enter Bucky!

----------------------------------------------

Sophie

"Sophie..."

I groaned and rolled to my other side. Again, someone whispered in my ear. I threw the blanket over my head. Steve laughed and easily lifted me – and the blankets – off the bed.

"What are you doing?!" I screamed.

"Waking you up!"

"Job well done, Captain I-don't-need-sleep!"

He set me down. "It's dinnertime. You slept all day. Tony's home and wants to talk to you about what happened last night."

"What if I don't want to talk about it?"

"Well, I'm sure Sam would be willing-"

"Not just with my dad. I don't want to talk about it at all. With anyone. Ever." I crossed my arms.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, that's not going to go very well."

I dropped my arms in defeat. "I know. Sit with me?"

He smiled. "If you need me to."

"It's going to be just the five of us, right? I'm assuming Pepper is gonna be there?" I asked as we headed towards the living room.

"As far as I know."

"Good, because I don't want a repeat of last night. It's embarrassing enough to faint in front of people you know instead of – oh, dear. You bunch of liars."

We entered the room, and each spot was filled on the lengthy couches. Bethany, Hawkeye, Sam, Natasha, Pepper, Tony, and Wanda were present. Sharon was there, but she stayed partially hidden behind a table. This irked me. I haven't been home three days and they're already forcing me to 'tell my story'? What story was there to tell? It wasn't anything they wanted to hear, that's for sure.

"Is this some sort of intervention?" I scoffed.

Sam let out a heavy sigh. "You need to talk this out. It's not healthy not to. But-"

"Oh, so you want a – what is it called? 'Straight boner'?" I laughed. "That's what they used to call it, right? Something like that... well, this has been a good talk! I'm laughing already – let's get something to drink!"

Steve and Clint pulled me back down between them on the couch. "We're not letting you off that easy."

"Maybe I don't want to talk about it." They pulled me back down again.

"Nice try."

"What do you want to hear then, huh?" I crossed my arms.

"I know war does things to you, especially once you've been taken prisoner. I've talked with a lot of guys who've been POW's and they're not the same. You're degraded and-"

"I'll talk if it gets you to shut up," I offered. They nodded. "Which story, then? How about the worst one? Let's get it over with, shall we? I was hanging there, waiting for you guys to come save me. My arms were going numb. The guards had their backs to me. The geek wouldn't shut up about some comic book and I decided if I wasn't going to be saved, I'd have to save myself. The box they'd previously kept me in had some sort of force field or something where I couldn't travel my special way out, but the chains they had me in didn't seem to be the same. I figured nothing could go wrong.