Chapter 15: You can talk to me

Terribly sorry about the wait!  After I've been doing so good, too! I've been in a bit of a lull lately, and working a lot (Plus disneyland...) But I'll do my best to get better!  Enjoy! XDee

-----------------------------------------------------

Sophie

The building was full of people dressed in fancy business suits bustling about. I tried tapping on a few shoulders to get directions, but no one offered to help. The guards were busy typing on their computers to bother looking up at me. Finally, the elevators appeared as I rounded a corner. I was able to find this guy's suite number on the list of floors. If his name had been on the card, things would be ten times easier.

Like all elevators in New York, it was tiny and over packed. Trying to shove past people to walk out to my floor was like fighting a bull on steroids. When I finally got out and managed a deep breath, I noticed some familiar clay on the ground. I turned around to see one of the guards still on the lift crack his knuckles. Another piece of clay chipped off his hand. The doors closed before I could react.

"Ma'am?"

"Oh, I'm sorry." I moved out of the lady's way. Pocketing the clay, I resumed my search for the suite number. The reception desk made things a lot easier. Behind it, two women were arguing. One was the actual receptionist, with tears in her eyes, and the other was shouting in an old fashioned English accent. Her clothes were modern, but her manners certainly were not.

"Um, excuse me?" I lightly tapped on the wood. Both looked at me with harsh faces. "Whoa, sorry, I was just looking for... well, I don't know who I'm looking for-"

"Then why are you here?" The British one seethed. Actually, calling her British didn't feel quite right. English was more correct. And then there was something about her face. Her nose and jawline, even ears were pointed. It was fairy-like.

"May I help you?" the receptionist tried again. I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Sorry, I was given this card-"

The rude one gasped. "You're looking for Victor?"

"I don't know, is he the one that has these cards?" I searched it again for a name; nothing.

"He's not in."

"Oh. Well, should I leave my name, or-"

"No, you can get out!" the fairy's face was turning red. It seemed best not to argue, especially if she was the one in charge of the clay men.

I hurried out of the building, deciding to take the stairs this time so I could fly down without drawing attention to myself. The less conspicuous I was, the better. The last thing I needed was to get another army of clay men to follow me home, where I didn't have any avengers to help me kick their ass. And this time I didn't run the chance of one of them jumping off a roof and helping me.

"What the...?" I opened the door to my motel room, and there were signs someone else was here. Carefully, I crept up to the locked bathroom door, pulling one of the guns I'd stolen out of my dresser. As the door opened, I aimed it at the intruder's head.

"Whoa, is that any way to greet your old man?"

"Tony!" I groaned. I should've known.

Tony

"It only took me a minute to find you. You didn't try very hard to hide from me," I noted. Sophie plopped onto her bed.