Chapter Thirty-Seven: Quick Question

Two chapters in one night?!?!?  To be honest, I'd had most of this chapter written for a while lol.  Enjoy! XDee

-----------------------------------------

Steve

The sun was barely up when I woke to someone shaking me. Bucky was leaning over me, a nervous look on his face.

"Buck? What's going on? Is everything okay?" I asked, sitting up.

He sat on the edge of the bed and ran his hands through his hair. "I, uh... I don't know how to say this... I'm gonna ask today. I'm sure Tony knows what I'm gonna ask, and Pepper said she'd be there as a witness, but I'd still like another person there as a buffer."

I smiled. "Buck... are you sure? We're about to go into a fight in a few hours."

"Yeah," he smiled back. "I couldn't be more sure. Might as well do it before things get crazy and something else happens."

I nodded. "All right, then I'm happy for you. When are we doing this?"

"Um, now, I think. Pepper told me Tony was up making coffee already. I figured if I get him while he's still tired, it might not be as bad."

I put a hand on his shoulder. "Bucky... you're stalling."

He nodded and stared at his hands in his lap. "Yeah... let's get this over with, huh?"

We walked downstairs to the kitchen and, sure enough, Tony stood staring blankly at the coffee pot, waiting for it to finish brewing. I cleared my throat and he noticed us. Pepper stood near the fridge, biting her nails. I took a seat on the other side of the island.

Bucky stepped forward and began speaking with Tony in a very hushed tone. Stark nodded at whatever he was saying and responded in whispers, too. Bucky smiled, but then Tony asked another question. Bucky began stuttering and shook his head.

Pepper raced forward to stand between them. "Tony, no. We already talked about this! You can't control everything."

I rose from my seat, confused, and stood behind Bucky. "Everything all right?"

"Yeah, yeah. We're fine... but first..." Out of nowhere, Tony landed a right hook on Bucky's face. Pepper was shoved to the side and the two began to fight.

"Whoa! Hey, hey, hey!" I pulled Bucky off Tony and Clint appeared from nowhere and held Tony back.

"You know what? Why don't I get everyone else up?" Pepper asked. She pat Tony's cheek before heading to the rooms.

"Tony, you good?" I asked. He nodded, out of breath. Bucky walked out of the kitchen to the main room. I followed him out to make sure he was okay.

"I had something else planned," he sighed.

"That's okay, we still have time. We can stall Sophie for a while longer. I'm sure she's still sleeping after everything that happened yesterday," I encouraged.

Bucky nodded. "Yeah, I already have a plan on how to do that. C'mon, I'm going to need your help."

Sophie

Wade and I were chilling out, watching TV. To be honest, I wasn't sure what was happening. When I woke up, Pepper told me I was still banned from leaving the house. Wade decided to join me, in solidarity. Supposedly, they locked us up so we wouldn't cause any more damage – to ourselves or anyone else. We were supposed to be preparing for this big fight with Doom, but something about this felt off. I knew something else was going on, but I couldn't figure out what. After finishing a season of The Great British Baking Show that we had started weeks ago, Pepper and Eden came racing down the stairs, breathing heavy and desperation splattered across their faces.