Chapter 26: Children, Children, Children

Tony

I had pulled up to the X-mansion and the Professor was at the door with a posse of about seven other mutants waiting for us. Geek had devolved into a more aggressive version of himself. He was practically seizing and foaming at the mouth when we reached our destination.

"Professor! One of you has healing abilities, right?" He nodded, his face full of concern. I motioned towards the kid in my passenger's seat. "Then heal him!"

*

"What sparked this?" Jean asked. We stared at Geek from the other side of the glass protector. A giant made of metal and Wolverine attempted to keep him pinned to the table while the Professor tried his best to calm his mind. After a few close calls, the rest of us decided it would be best to wait outside the room.

"I'm not sure. He was saying something about how he thinks his DNA was literally changed and he's becoming someone else. We were on our way to check on Sophie and he said he didn't think it was wise for them to be together."

"I can feel a lot of anger from him."

"That could be me," I seethed. I was growing tired of seeing these kids go through more than they deserved. Geek was only, what? 19? He'd already achieved so much as a kid who can fix anything, and yet he's gone through more than I can imagine. Not literally, obviously, as my imagination is as great as I am clever. The two go hand in hand.

Jean faced me, her back to the glass. "Tony, we will find out what happened to these kids. However, until we do, we need to keep them safe from themselves. Beast said he spoke with you earlier and showed you those videos of Sophie."

"Yes, he did." I kept my gaze on Geek.

"Do you know where she is?"

"No, but I know she's with Parker." She gave a confused look. "The spider-kid. I got a call from him that they were headed to see the wizards."

"Wizards?"

"They claim to know how to use magic and won't help us in fights, but claim they're helping 'behind the scenes'," I explained. "One used to be a surgeon. And now he's a wizard."

"Magic..." Jean whispered to herself. "Wanda will have an idea. I've got to find Magneto to ask his daughter..."

I turned to the other mutant that was with me. "Do you know what just happened? She knows magic isn't real, right? Wanda isn't magical."

The white haired beauty smiled softly. "There are those who would say the same about my ability to control the weather. Or the professor's ability to control the mind."

"I thought it was a genetic thing that made your abilities possible?"

"Yes, that is true." She smiled again. "But who's to say there's not some magic involved, as well?"

"Oh, I think there's quite a few-"

Geek began to scream inside the room. Storm grabbed my arm to prevent me from intervening. "No! There's something very wrong! Let them handle it!"

I was too frozen with fear to fight back. We watched as Geek tossed Wolverine to the other side of the room with a strength that would match Thor or my buddy Banner when he's stubbed his toe. We barely made it out of the way before the metal guy came crashing through the glass window. I jumped up, prepared to don my suit in an attempt to help.

"Don't!" The professor shouted from inside the room. I helped up Storm and we poked our heads in. Geek was calmly sitting on the table, his legs dangling over the edge.