Chapter 21

Sophie

Bethany, Geek, and I remained in the corner for most of the night. There were a few attempts by random guests to mingle with us, but I managed to scare them away. Bethany was growing quieter as the night grew on. I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with my newly aggressive attitude towards life. Geek, however, was as chatty as ever and kept a conversation going by himself for a few hours.

"It's nearly midnight," Bethany noted.

"You're right, Cinderella. I'd best get you home before your evil step mother gets upset," I quipped. She was too busy scanning the room for somebody.

"Who are you looking for?" Geek asked.

"No one, I just thought I saw... Sophie, do you remember that drawing you made a while back in your dad's lab?"

"Not particularly."

"I swear I just saw-"

"I am so sorry to have kept you waiting!" Victor reappeared behind us.

"I'm sorry to say we were just leaving," Bethany apologized. She grabbed Geek's arm and started to walk away. I made to follow her, but Victor flicked his wrist and I froze. Instead, my feet took two steps backwards so I was in the perfect position to speak with our negligent host.

I narrowed my eyes, uncertain as to what had just happened. "Was there something you wanted to say?"

He grinned. "As a matter of fact, there was. If you would kindly follow me, I'm sure your friends will join us shortly."

Rather than wait for a response, as any normal person would, he put a hand behind my lower back and forced me back down the same hall I'd snuck down a few hours before. We stood in front of what appeared to be an elevator. Bethany and Geek were nearly dragged by a few of the security guards to where we were.

"Excellent. Now that we're all here, we can proceed." The doors opened and rather than an elevator, the metal doors revealed a small conference room. We were shoved inside and ordered to sit.

"What do you want with us?" Bethany spat.

Victor grinned. "I only wanted to inquire about your recent kidnappings."

"I wasn't kidnapped," my friend argued.

"You're here for moral support. I'll get to your purpose later," he sneered. The charm was back on his face. "Now, if you would, let's start with you, Miss Stark."

Tony

The mansion was quiet. I had actually been sleeping, since most of the Avengers had been called away on a lead for their missing Prime Minister. Then an alarm went off. Groaning, I asked Friday what it was about.

"It's an alert on Sophie's tracking bracelet. She has apparently... disappeared off the radar."

I jumped out of bed and rushed to my laptop. "What do you mean? That's impossible! The point of the tracking system was that it couldn't go off grid, and I am the only one who can take it off! How in the hell....?!?"

I was typing away at my systems, trying to figure out what was going on. And then, suddenly, everything went back to normal. It couldn't have been more than a few minutes. I leaned back against my leather chair, struggling to figure out what happened. Every accessible satellite was focused on her. It was impossible for her to go off the radar.