Chapter One: Low Hopes

Sophie

A low hum filled the darkness. The daily light we were allowed had faded away hours ago. Not that I could see much of it anyway, with the blindfold across my eyes. It was only a matter of time before she came in. I passed the time trying to recall fond memories, in the hopes I could still get out with some part of me intact. Admittedly, there wasn't much of who I used to be left.

My mom and I making up our own lyrics during a musical. Sharon, Aunt Margaret and I going on road trips to the middle of nowhere. Steve and I, dancing to Elvis. Pepper, scaring Tony and I awake after we'd fallen asleep in the lab. Clint, Natasha, and I practicing fighting dummies that Wanda attacked us with. Steve, showing me the sights. Bethany and I wreaking havoc along the pier, trying to see how big of a wave she could create without anyone taking notice.

My heart crunched. I thought of all the times I'd ever fought with Tony. How I regretted every word! Two long years had gone by, and not a single sign of them coming for me. Of course I'd lost hope of rescue ages ago. But at least I had nearly a year of fond memories with him to look back to. They could warm me from the inside, but unfortunately they couldn't return the feeling back into my arms as they hung above me.

A muffled cry let me know my captors were back. She was done with Geek, and it was now my turn. She snickered as I flinched at the hot iron running up my leg. I could no longer feel pain, which is exactly what she wanted. They had messed with me, with my DNA and emotions and physical body so much that I was barely aware of who I was anymore. Surely there was still a bit of human left in me?

"Say it again," she repeated in perfect Russian. Why were they always Russian?

"My name is Tina Sophie Stark-McCall, I am 22 years old, daughter of Anthony Edward "Iron Man" Stark and Meredith Anna McCall. I have been trained to kill and do only as I am instructed. If the Master needs help, I will be his puppet. If the Doctor wishes to kill without getting his hands dirty, it is my subconscious he will use. I will infiltrate the –"

"That's good enough. I think she knows it by now." I knew that voice. That was the one they call "Doctor". I used to think of him as evil, but from what I can tell he's actually a decent guy. Little on the arrogant side, but he's true to his word. Even saved Captain once, according to his fairy lady that follows him around everywhere.

...Captain. Oh, how I missed him. I'd spent so long in this place I've almost forgotten him completely. Every day I reminded myself that they were coming for me. They were searching, fighting. There was no way my friends would leave me like this. The hope that they would actually come was gone, but daydreaming was a great way to pass the time.

Here I was, nearly two years later and so far nothing has happened. No one has come to rescue me. My captors didn't even have to move facilities. Then again, it was easy when you put Evil Incorporated in some unknown, unmapped country. Where did he say we were, again? Bermia? Transia? Is that near Russia?

"I'm sorry," I apologized. The woman's heels clacked away, her being satisfied by slapping me. Left alone with the Doctor? Hm. That's a first.

"I believe you and I have business to discuss. You know your mission, and I hope my friends have made you learn it well. Oh, will someone please take that wretched blindfold off her? It feels like I'm talking to a corpse."

My eyes burned at the light. I lost count after 13 days since I'd last properly seen any.

"I'm afraid Alicia has been rather tough on you. From now on, you'll be staying with me. You'll be in a nice, comfortable bed. I'll give you new clothes and warm food. Doesn't that sound nice? I wish someone would take care of me the way I'm about to take care of you."