Chapter 14: Runaway

Enjoy, children! XDee

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sophie

I had been sitting in my room, staring at nothing for the last few hours. They were probably out still searching for me. A lone figure entered my room, too shy to completely enter.

"So. You're Eden," I called over my shoulder.

"Yes."

"Hm."

She sat on the edge of my bed. "You know, he really did miss you. He was constantly searching. He rarely slept. Pepper convinced him to look for others. It helped take his mind off of you."

"Hm."

She tried again. "He spoke about you often. There was hardly a day that passed when he didn't bring up a memory of you – or his parents. The memories brought some sense of a smile to his face."

"He's not the nostalgic type."

Growing irritated from my negativity, she scoffed. "How would you know? From what I understand, you spent more time with the others than you did with him. How well do you really know our father?"

I stood up quickly. "I know he goes for a run every morning as soon as he wakes up. I know he doesn't hate soda, but chooses not to drink it. I know he would nearly kill for a slice of New York pizza, and he likes his coffee black – or an espresso, depending on how big of a hurry he's in, and that he hates sleeping with socks on because it makes him feel sweaty and confined. He's an A+ blood type and loves soccer, but hates the Lord of the Rings series. I know he can't sleep, because the thought of an alien invasion or some other major threat worries him day in and day out, so he's constantly thinking of things to build that can either save his loved ones, if not all of humanity. I know he's sarcastic and smart, handsome and rich, but also cares so much that he puts on a façade to pretend like he couldn't care less about any one thing lest someone use it against him. And I also know he's not nostalgic, so get out of my room you presumptuous bitch."

Eden rose gracefully. "I was really hoping we could be friends."

"That's your fault, not mine."

"Pepper said you weren't like this before you were taken. Something happened to you when you were gone. I'll pray for you."

I scoffed as I turned away from her. "We don't believe in God in this household."

"You could use it."

"You could use some shut the hell up. Now, if you'd be so kind." I motioned towards the door. She tried to show that she wasn't hurt, but I could see that I was starting to break her down. Good. I tightened my fists. This newfound anger was burning stronger every minute.

Tony

The wrench slipped out of my shaking hands and slid between the seats of the car I was working on. I cursed and decided on a break. This whole Sophie-Eden thing had me up in arms. Thankfully Geek was still asleep, so I had the garage to myself.

"Daddy?" Eden's Scottish accent quietly echoed in the garage.

"Over here," I sighed.

"I know you're disappointed that I'm normal – don't deny it! I'm no genius, but I'm not stupid, either." She knelt down in front of me. "I've been talking with that Scott Ant guy."