Chapter 8: Trust is a Big Word

Tony

"Listen, I'm not doing this because I don't trust you. It's to help us catch whoever took you. We got a pretty good look at him, but no one knows where he's from, or what his name is, or – or anything. You know I don't like not knowing things," I explained on the car ride to the X-mansion. It was beginning to feel like I was spending more time with them than the Avengers.

"I'd like to believe you, but if we hadn't had to bring Jarvis along it would be more believable," she pouted.

"My name is Vision. Jarvis is who I was, but now-"

"You're something else. Yeah, yeah. Steve told me the story. Bethany said she'd meet us there?"

"She lives there, so... yes."

"And Wade?"

"Wade's doing his own thing. As long as he leaves us alone, I don't particularly care," I admitted. "The last thing I need is for him to rub off on you. He stole a plane from me and crashed it and how did he pay me back? With a paper IOU and a voicemail that said 'whoopsies, my bad'!"

Sophie laughed in the seat beside me. Vision babbled on about how much he would actually owe me until we pulled into the driveway. Wolverine's bike was parked in front, the front tire nearly falling off. He must've gotten into another crash. Some people don't know how to treat their toys.

Sophie

"So. This is the X-Mansion, huh?" I stepped out of the Tesla to admire the castle-like structure before me. "The professor inherited this? Are they richer than us?"

My dad snorted. "Not even close."

"Actually, Charles Xavier takes in more than-"

"No one cares, Vison," Tony cut him off. I shoved the last piece of pizza in my mouth. Tony had thought a lunch date between the two of us would ease the tension. It eased my stomach, but that was about it. Before we knocked the heavy wooden doors flew open. Bethany greeted us with high enthusiasm.

"Someone's chipper," I noted.

"I'm glad to see you! This afternoon wasn't exactly a great start. So, I'm hoping you're feeling better."

"I am." I looked around the room. It was made of the same thick dark wood as the doors, giving the impression of strength and classic elegance and a grand entrance.

"I'm glad you appreciate it. My parents put a lot of effort into designing this house." The professor rolled in from behind a hidden door. Bethany moved to stand directly behind him. A giant blue furry man came up through the elevator, arguing with Bruce over some paperwork.

"Wait, weren't you just at the mansion?" I asked.

Bruce looked up. "Oh, hey. Yes I was. And now we're both here. Imagine that."

"Shall we go downstairs?" the Professor suggested, getting straight to the point. Perfect. Get this over with. I was silent as our party made our way down the elevator that the two doctors had come up from. The downstairs was a stark difference from upstairs. The first floor was warm and welcoming, while down here was sterile and cold, and full of metal. A cold silver table waited for me to lie down upon it.

"I would like to note that I feel incredibly similar to both a lab rat and a cadaver."

"Hush, Sophie," my dad insisted. He waited with his hand over his mouth, ready to start pacing. This couldn't be easy for him. I wasn't prepared for all my memories to come back, either. Especially not if they were close to the nightmares I'd had the other day. Or was it this morning?