Chapter 24: Speculations

I know, I know, I know.  It's been way too long.  But this is a longer one to make up for that.  And things are moving right along!  Thank you for your patience! XDee

-------------------------------------------

Steve

Mockingbird and Sharon's voices could be heard from the conference room. Clint and I had been in an argument with the FBI and White House over this whole case of the missing Prime Minister. They came yesterday morning to pick up the distressed security officer. Before we could get Jean or the Professor to question him, like I was still determined to do. If there was a mental block, they would be the two that could undo it.

Then again, we've still had no luck with Sophie or Geek's.

"I guess we should tell everyone the news," Clint sighed heavily. He looked more aged than I did, even though I was technically twice his age.

"We got an extension to our search, so that's a benefit," I said in an effort to lighten the mood. As we were about to enter the room, I caught a few concerning words that made me pause.

"...she's really gonna help?"

"She's a Stark; of course she's going to! I've never met someone who claims to be as brilliant as them that is so easily tricked using simple psychology. We've still gotta wait for Eden to finish and test out her suit before we can try bringing her into this, and Tony insists he's officially retired. For now we'll have to settle for Sophie."

Clint and I looked at each other, confused, as his wife continued her conversation. "What if she finds out you manipulated her into helping with the case?"

Sharon laughed. "She won't. She's too stubborn to admit anything like that."

Clint clicked his tongue and entered the room, abruptly ending their talk. "Well, the Secretary of Defense gave us a ten day extension. They're not too happy that we still haven't found anything more, but they're also beginning to realize there might be more to this than we originally thought."

"More as is what?" Mockingbird asked. She reached her arm out to welcome him on the couch next to her.

"Some are convinced that this might be an inter-galactical case. They want us to get a hold of the Guardians. We suggested we use Thor, first, but they really don't think he's going to be as much help, since he's not as 'traveled' as they are," he explained.

"I can go down and see if I can't get a hold of Gamora," his wife offered.

"I'll join you." They left, but not before Clint gave me a knowing look. I let out a sigh as I collapsed on the couch next to Sharon.

"Could this really be the work of aliens? And what would they want with the Prime Minister of Canada?" She pondered out loud. "Do you think Captain Marvel could be of any help? I know she said she was also trying to retire, but we could really use the help."

"I think we should leave her alone. Everyone that wants to be retired or have their own time, I think we should allow them that comfort," I said. She eyed me.

"Your jaw is tightened. What's bothering you? Obvious things aside."

I leaned forward to rest my head on my hands. "Did you trick Sophie into working on this case, even though Clint and Tony specifically asked you not to?"

Her face changed and the Agent pokerface replaced it. "Natasha said we had no choice. We need her brains, since Tony-"

"But did you have to trick her?" I interrupted.