Chapter Forty: Battle Chatter

So close, yet so far!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sophie

"So, they're appearing right before the doors?" Dr. Richards asked.

"I think there's some weird kind of portal. I was barely able to avoid it," I clarified. There were a few annoyed sighs in my ear.

"Okay, then that changes a few things." I could see a red glow from where Wanda stood her ground. There was a blast of wind, as she took down about a hundred that were surrounding her at once. She found the Sorcerer's eyes and nodded to him. "Think you can close it?"

"Shouldn't be too hard," he winked.

"Ugh, please, don't you two start flirting," Wade gagged.

"Who said we are flirting?"

"Also, you are NOT one to talk!" I shot back at Wade. Among the horde that we were battling, I noticed something different. A blue yet clear glow emanated from the warehouse entrance. Those closest to it began to almost... dry out?

"Oh my god... dad! It's Bethany!" I shouted. He'd been flying above me and noticed what I was looking at. Pepper was too close for comfort, so he shot over to get her away, their metal suits creating a loud crash from the collision.

"What's going on?" Bucky asked from behind me.

"It's Bethany," I repeated, this time in disbelief.

"I don't understand," Johnny admitted. He'd stopped torching those around him in an attempt to figure it out.

"Bethany's powers – she manipulates water," I began.

"Okay, and...?"

"Humans are roughly 70% water," Peter continued.

"And you know how I can suck all the light and cause a black-out?" I added.

"Oh, shit!" Eden swore, what I we were saying having dawned on her.

"I'm sorry, I still don't understand," Johnny sighed.

"She's under Doom's control, meaning it's entirely possible he could have her suck out the water in us. That would kill us almost immediately," my dad explained.

It was now Johnny and Wade who swore. "Oh, shit!"

"And he picked her to go up against me?!?" Johnny exclaimed.

"Don't worry, I'll take her," Sue shouted over the earpieces.

"No, I'll get her. Anyone near Storm? I might need her help, since she knows Bethany's powers and can manipulate water," I said.

"I think it's just weather stuff, though," Dr. Richards corrected.

I groaned. "Either way, I'll need her. If anyone can, please send her to Bethany!"

"Wait, Sophie!" Bucky called out. I paused, looking around for him. Our eyes made contact and I flew towards him.

"What's up, honey-bun?" I teased.

"Be safe," he whispered against my lips. I grinned before taking off towards my best friend.

"BETHANY!" I shouted as I turned solid again in front of her. She still looked exactly as she always had, except her eyes were strangely empty. That must be from The Master controlling her.

She raised her hands towards me, prepared to do some kind of damage. Before I could react, a flash of red announced Wanda's arrival beside me.

"We don't have time," she explained in her accent. I wanted to object, but she had already raised her arms and sent some sort of power surge to my former best friend, knocking her out cold.