Chapter 4: Comatose

Steve

We landed before Sophie woke. Tony was up long enough to help bring her into his room before he curled up next to her again in his California King sized bed. They were asleep for so long that we began taking turns making sure they were still alive. Half a day went by before most of us couldn't wait any longer and we, too, fell asleep.  

Most went home, but those of us who were closest with Sophie remained in Tony's house. Clint, Sharon, Skye, Bethany, and I camped out in the living room. We took turns answering the door when someone new came to visit. Sam came and went, bringing updates on the other guy that was with her in captivity. He had given us nothing, but cooperated nonetheless.

"Do you think she's going to be all right?" Sharon asked the next day over coffee. Only the two of us were really awake, and stood in the kitchen to not bother the others. We'd been up for hours now, talking about this and that and planning our next move to get whoever took Sophie.

"What do you mean?"

"She's been through a pretty traumatic experience. She's going to heal up just fine, but a person can't just forget something like that. I mean, four years? That's an awful long time. Tony went to space for less than five minutes and came back with major depression and a drinking problem."

"Problems he had before." I shook my head, trying to come up with a good reason why we shouldn't be worried. "Sophie's got a lot of people around her that care about her. Her dad and Pepper haven't left her side since we got her back. Sophie's tough; she'll be fine."

"I wouldn't be," Sharon snorted. "I mean, can you imagine? Being locked up and tortured like that for four long years? My spirit would've been shattered long before my femur or spleen. Think of all the things that have changed while she's been gone. It's gonna be difficult to get back in the rhythm of things."

"Oh, I think I can help with that." I gave her a pointed look. She laughed and brushed her hair through her fingers. With her hair pushed back like that she looked like a blonde version of her Aunt Peggy. Having her with me during this hunt helped out a lot. She provided some sense of ease, and gave me a kick start whenever I began to give up hope.

She gave me her embarrassed smile. "I don't know why, but I forgot about your nap."

"My nap?" I chuckled. "An awful long nap."

"And yet you still get tired," she teased. She walked around the island to lean against my chest. I kissed the top of her head and rested my cheek against her hair. There was some shuffling by the door.

"Really?" Clint scoffed upon entering, shaking his head. He took the rest of the coffee in the pot and started walking away. "She's awake, by the way, if either of you care to know."

I pushed Sharon aside – gently – and we raced to the master bedroom. Pepper sat on the foot of the grand bed, smiling at Tony and Sophie, who were both leaning against pillows at the top of the bed. All the others had spread out throughout the room.

"Steve!" Sophie grinned. She reached out a hand for me to take. I rounded the bed and kissed her hand, taking notice how much rougher it was. Red marks lined her wrists, along with endless bruises and small cuts. My fingers ran over small scars and she pulled away.

"Nice of you to join us," Tony said with much sarcasm. He eyed Sharon.

"Two...? Sharon! I didn't realize you'd come!" Sophie grinned. She lifted both arms for a hug, but had to pull back in pain.