01. the beginning of the shitstorm

y/n's pov

I poured milk into my bowl of cereal while yawning. It felt like it was way to early to wake up.

I could hear the TV playing faintly from the other room. My mother was sitting on the couch watching the news.

The moment I walked over to the doorway with my bowl, she looked up at me and switched the channel.

"Why'd you come home late last night?" She asked me.

"Good morning to you too, mom."

"Why'd you come home late?"

"Why do you care? You came home even later!"

"Because I am your mother and I decide when it's too late for you to be out."

"You were out doing god knows what last night but now you're telling me off for getting home late?"

"I know you weren't at work so where were you?"

If she listened to me the morning before she would know.

"I told you yesterday morning! I was hanging out with Simon after work."

"That junkie boy?"

I rolled my eyes and went back to the table to eat my breakfast. My 14 year old sister, Imogen, was sitting at the table reading.

"Did you snitch on me?" I asked. "It wasn't even that late!"

She just shrugged and closed her book. "Can you give me a ride to school?"

"No."

"Please?"

"You-" I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I can't. Kate's driving today."

"Can Kate drop me off?"

"No! Get one of your friends or get mom to." I checked my watch and quickly stood up. "I've got to get ready."

"Gotta look pretty for your boyfriend."

"Piss off."

I put my empty bowl in the sink with the other dirty dishes and ran upstairs.

While I was tying up my converses a horn honked from outside. I walked over to my window and looked out to see Simon and Kate waiting for me.

I picked up my backpack and ran downstairs.

I opened the front door to see Imogen getting into the passenger seat of Kate's car. I then jogged over to them.

"Kate said she'll give me a ride!" Imogen smirked at me and I poked my tongue out at her before sitting in the back seat next to the one and only Simon Kalivoda.

"Hey Kate, hey Si."

"Hey." Simon smiled softly and put my hand in his.

"Y/N, did you hear what happened?" Kate turned around in her seat to look at me.

"No? What happened?"

"Heather Watkins was murdered last night. At the mall."  She exclaimed.

My face fell. Simon and I made eye contact and he gave me a sympathetic look.

"Oh, shit."

"Yeah, I know! The dude was wearing a skull mask and everything." Kate told me as she started to drive down the road.

"Who was it?" I asked and Kate shrugged.

"At least you weren't there though. I don't know if I could deal with Simon on my own."