16. nurse lane vs tommy slater

okay so i lied. but this is just cause y/n wasn't in the last chapter.

Y/N hadn't been cleaning the Mess Hall for long when the door opened and in came Tommy Slater.

"Uh, hi." He spoke. "I kinda finished cleaning the outhouse so, I'm here."

"Oh, cool." Y/N said awkwardly. "Uh, do you need a bucket?"

"Yeah, thanks." Tommy smiled.

Y/N started walking into the kitchen but stopped at the door.

"Is Cindy coming too?" She asked. "Should I get stuff for her?"

"Yep, she's just got Alice stuff and Ziggy stuff to deal with."

"Oh, yeah. That makes sense." Y/N grabbed two buckets and sponges from the kitchen.

She came back and handed them to Tommy, who thanked her and began scrubbing one of the tables.

"So... do you not like me or something?" Tommy asked Y/N after a minute or two.

"I don't know. Maybe a little." Y/N said as she scrubbed the table. "It's not your fault, and I'm sorry about that."

"Then why do you hate me?"

She thought about lying, but decided against it.

"Because someone I like, likes you."

"A guy?" He asked and Y/N shook her head.

"Oh." Tommy was silent for a moment. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise." She told him. "It's not your fault."

"Well, your secret's safe with me." Tommy smiled as he began scrubbing the table again.

Maybe Tommy Slater wasn't so bad.

The door then burst open and Cindy came storming in, muttering under her breath. She started heading toward the kitchen.

"Uh, Cindy! I, um, I got you a bucket and stuff!" Y/N called out to her old friend hesitantly.

"Oh!" She smiled for a moment. "Thank you."

She grabbed the bucket and sponge and took her spot on the floor and began to scrub it.

It took a few moments before Cindy started ranting to Tommy.

"I swear to god everyone just wants to ruin my life." She started. "Alice, she's just, like... She just won't let it go. You know? It's like we're still 12 years old and her whole goal in life is to- to punish me for something that wasn't even my fault."

Y/N furrowed her eyebrows as she listened. Cindy snitched on Alice and Y/N, but it 'wasn't her fault'.

"I can't believe you guys used to be friends." Tommy said, trying to join the conversation.

"And Ziggy..." Cindy groaned. "I mean, it's only a matter of time before she ends up in jail or worse. And I'm just trying to be a good role model and make something of myself! But no, no, I'm the stuck-up priss who hates fun, which isn't even true at all! I like fun, I like fun! I just... I just want to get out of Shadyside. Is that so crazy?"

Cindy's sponge ripped as she said the last word.

She gasped. "Shit!" She threw the sponge on the floor. "Shit!"

Tommy laughed a little. "Did Cindy Berman just swear?"

"Not now, Tommy!" She huffed. "I'm not in the mood."

She then stood up and stormed off into the kitchen.

Tommy walked over to the front of the Mess Hall near the door because he said he heard something.