12. a simple sunday

y/n's pov

I sat on my bed, staring down at the piece of paper in my hand.

I wanted to read it, but I didn't want to make things worse for myself.

Maybe I did, because I opened the note and began to read it.

Dear Y/N,

Hi. This is going to sound super cheesy so be prepared.
So, there are two reasons you'd be reading this. One, we both survived and I'm letting you read this for some reason. Or two, you survived and I'm dead.
I'm really hoping it's the first one.
I just wanted to write this because at the moment, I'm scared... Like, really, really scared. I'm terrified. There are literally dead serial killers after us and we almost just sacrificed Sam to avoid it.
Um... We're in the ambulance right now, on the way to the grab and buy. I'm really hoping this goes well. But I guess if you're reading this maybe it didn't for me.
Ok, so what I really want to say is that I love you. So so so so so so so much. Like more than anything in the world. Even more than Timmy.
I love you, and I hope that you're ok without my sexy ass.
I'm kidding (Not really).
Anyway, I just want you to know that I love you and I'm sad thinking that we never got out of Shadyside together.

Love, Simon.
P.S. If Kate's still alive, tell her I'm really glad I had her as my best friend.
<3

I placed the piece of paper down on my bed and wiped my eyes. I folded the note again and sighed, placing it beside my bed. I already missed him so much.

I took a deep breath, stood up, and went downstairs.

My mom was home for once and she was sitting on the couch watching the news.

"Killer Capital, USA. After a week of terror, Shadyside continues to live up to its twisted nickname."

The lady on the tv spoke.

"Clad in a Halloween skull mask, Shadyside High graduate Ryan Torres kicked off the days of terror with a massacre at the mall. And now an already mourning community is plunged into horror yet again as the Sheriff's Department reports more carnage at East Union Medical."

Next to the news woman's head two familiar faces appeared on the tv.

"Police believe the murderers were fuelled by amphetamines."

I sat down beside my mother. My eyes, still red and puffy from crying, we're glued to the screen.

"Local teenagers Kate Schmidt and Simon Kalivoda are the primary suspects."

Their pictures now took up the entire screen and I felt so mad. They were being blamed for their own fucking murders.

"The scene of the final carnage was the local grocery store. Sheriff Nick Goode found the Grab and Bag soaked in blood and broken dreams."

"Fucking druggies." My mother rolled her eyes, changing the channel.

"They weren't 'fucking druggies', mom." I snapped.

"Right, you were friends with the junkies." She muttered. "I hope you weren't involved in that."

The phone began to ring and I used it as an excuse to leave the room.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Y/N. It's Josh."

"Oh, hey. What's up?"

"I was just gonna ask if you were okay. Y'know, after what happened."

"I'm... I'm fine."

"Um, well, Deena and Sam are upstairs and I just ordered a pizza for dinner. So, if you want to come over or something. We could talk, or watch a movie, or play one of my games or something, I don't know."

"Thanks, Josh. I might come over in a minute if that's okay. My mom was just talking shit about them. Kate and Si. So I just need to get out of the house."

"That's fine. I'll see you soon then, Y/N!"

"Bye, Josh."

I went back upstairs and put on my shoes. I opened up one of my drawers and pulled out the first sweater I saw. It was one of Simon's. I put it on, grabbed my keys and went downstairs.

"Where are you going?" My mom asked.

"To Deena's." I said plainly and closed the door.

I sat in my car for a moment in silence before starting the engine and driving off to the Johnson's house.

I walked up to the front door and just before I knocked I heard crashing and yelling coming from inside. I had no clue what was going on, but it couldn't be good. The crashing stopped and I knocked at the door. No answer. I waited a minute or so before knocking again and Josh opened the door.

He grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me into the house.

"Y/N, come here." He brought me to the kitchen where a tied up Sam and a bleeding Deena were.

"Oh, shit."

Sam was growling and wriggling like crazy. Deena held onto her bleeding stomach, trying to stop the blood. Josh held a first-aid kit in his hands.

"I don't know what to do." He said in a panicked tone.

"Can someone explain what the fuck is going on here?" I said as Deena lifted her shirt to reveal her wound. I looked between the Johnson siblings and Sam.

"Sam. She's possessed." Deena told me as I started cleaning her blood from around the wound. "We need to go to C. Berman."