5 Disaster

River Town is a small town in the South, it’s not big, but it is beautiful and rich environmentally. Surrounded by mountains, the lake is like a mirror, and the sun is like broken gold sprinkles. My home, is at Lakeside Residence.

  My father was River Town’s richest merchant, and Gomez Corporation was a vintage silk enterprise with a long-established reputation. I was the only child in the family, pampered and exquisitely beautiful, naturally I got the name of “River Town’s first debutante”.

  I thought that this kind of peaceful life would be eternal. But everything changed completely during that summer.

  Aunt Perkins was my neighbor, she is a gentle and kind person, we were always close. But that year, she went off for a long journey herself.

  But when she came back, she brought three people with her. I never knew that, Aunt Perkins had sons, it was because she never mentioned that.

  Actually the first time I met Ethan Hayes, wasn’t when Aunt Perkins brought him home, before that, we had met before ourselves.

  I was good at swimming, that day when I passed by the lake coincidentally, my instincts told me that someone was drowning. I pulled him up with all my might.

  I had never seen such handsome man. At that time, my heart beat like crazy. After giving him CPR, my face flushed red, before he could wake up, I fled.

  I didn’t know how Aunt Perkins got to know Olivia Gomez and her mother. But it was true that she brought them to my home. That day, it was especially hot.

  “Greg, actually, I shouldn’t have done this. But, this child is too pitiful. She doesn’t even have nice clothes, the child is innocent.”

  Jen Jackson and Olivia Gomez were probably experts in acting, from the beginning they were already kneeling down at the doorstep.

  Olivia was wearing an old dress, the tears hadn’t dried down on the cheeks. She kneeled down looking all shocked and frightened.

  As for Jen Jackson, she kept kowtowing towards my mother.

  “Sister, it was my fault, I was young then, but since then I learnt my lesson, I really can’t raise her by my own. Please, I don’t want anything, I just hope for you to keep Olivia. If you don’t believe me, we can take a DNA test.”

  My mom was a softhearted person.

  But my father was persistent, “no. Don’t you ever think of stepping one foot inside my house. I, Greg Gomez only have one daughter, and that is Lexie Gomez. As for you, I don’t care about your life or death.”

  I remember clearly that dad had drove the two away. But mom wasn’t as cold hearted, “how about you give them some money? If they just leave like this, your reputation will also be affected. The past should stay in the past, you were framed by her, I really don’t blame you.”

  My father only smirked, “being kind to the enemy means being cruel to ourselves.” I think, that time, I didn’t really understand what that meant.

  When Aunt Perkins left, she apologized to my parents, “Greg, Sophia, I’m sorry, I’m not someone who likes to meddle in other people’s business. These years you took care of me, I think, even if I don’t bring them here, they’ll come here eventually. It’s never good to cause a ruckus, maybe you could tone it down, please don’t mind it. After all, after all, you’re still a family, sigh, just think of me as a busybody, I’ll keep them for some time, you guys should talk over this and come out with a decision.”

  Afterwards only I know, the meaning of what she meant as a ‘family’. I got to know that, Jen Jackson is my mother’s sister, my aunt whom I never met before.

  No wonder my mom couldn’t reject her. And Olivia Gomez is my sister. This kind of relationship, it wasn’t surprising that Aunt Perkins didn’t want it to show.

  Probably Aunt Perkins also never thought that.

  Her kindness would bring disaster to my house, and even her own’s house.