27 Please don't sign it

The next day.
   I have no idea what am I feeling or thinking and I just head over to the registry of marriages with Joel.
   Although I do have a condition.
   I told him that our marriage will only be lasted for 2 years, in this 2 years, I will be mainly taking care of him and helping him to recover. Both of us are having our own freedom. If both of us do forgotten what happened before, there's no problem between us, then we may be together for real after this two years. If we really couldn't forget about what happened before or we already have somebody we loved truly, then we will have to stop this marriage and continue with our own lives without disturbing each other.
   But I have no idea why am I still feeling weird deep down inside my heart.
   I couldn't stop comforting my inner feelings that it's just a deal.
   I have to pay him back what I owed him. I couldn't continue having relationship with Ethan, I need to control myself with this fake marriage.
   The process is quick enough and the staffs took our photo and asked us to fill in the forms.
   Actually, Joel can asks them to pay a visit to his house and get all the process done, but he insisted to come here just to feel a lot more formal.
   "Mr and Mrs Hayes, please sign here and it's complete." The staff smiles politely.
   The word 'Mrs Hayes' sounded weird and awkward to me.
   I lift the pen beside me but I just couldn't sign it.
   Joel has done his form, waiting for me to complete mine also.
   When I am still hesitating, there's one shout right behind me.
   "Lexie, please don't !"
   This voice sounded familiar. It nearly had me get off the chair when I heard his voice, it's Joel who asked me to sit down.
   Then I turn my head around.
   Both of us are looking into each other's eyes.
   I stares at the completely sweaty Ethan. It seems like he's rushing towards here, he couldn't even stop panting and also his apparel was a mess.
   Then he takes a deep breath and look at me, slowly shaking his head, "Lexie, don't."
   'crack-' the pen just cracked in my hand. I believe that I grabbed it too hard when I was nervous.
   I never seen Ethan in such nervous emotions before.
   "I..."
   My mind is a mess, I have no idea what to do now.
   Joel hands me another pen and I just take it over in complete stun.
   Ethan couldn't hide his pain with the look he has in his eyes, "please, I'm begging you, don't sign it." This is the first time he speaks in a serious tone.
   My heart couldn't take it anymore.
   It's unbelievable.
   The man that was so cold hearted, the man that was behaving so coldly towards me and even hated on me, planning on taking revenge on me, forcing me to do what I don't wanted to do are now begging me to not sign the form.
   My heart is filled with hesitation and pain, I don't know what to do.
   "Brother, what do you mean by this, huh?" Joel asks in a bad tone.
   "Joel, I can give you anything you want, the company, the stock rights, the position of mine, just say it, I can give you anything ! But just not-" Ethan looks over to Joel.
   Joel stops what Ethan's trying to say and says, "I want her and only her. The reason? I bet you already knew."
   Joel then reveals a creepy and weird smile.
   I am completely confused.
   "Lexie, I know, you're still feeling disgusted because of my health, right?" Joel holds onto my hand with his voice sounded so shakily, "The day when my father brought my brother back, my position in this family has completely changed, from the only son in the family to the second kid in this family. Yeah, I am not as perfect as my brother, he has good grades, he manages the company perfectly like he was born to manage it. He's perfect in everything. Yes, I am being raised under comparisons with my brother. I do wanted to be just like my brother or even stronger than him but you're going to choose my brother too?"
   "If, I can walk, maybe I can still try harder, if I still put my efforts in, maybe I can still be just like Ethan. Yet, the way I am now, myself, I am actually feeling disgusted by my own self too..."
   Joel's tears are streaming down on his face, he is so desperately that he even falls from the wheelchair.
   "Joel, Joel."
   I grab him up immediately.
   I couldn't hurt him anymore.
   It was all because of me actually.
   It's just a deal lasted for only 2 years, right?
   "I'll sign it."
   I grab the form and write my name on it quickly to prevent myself from hesitating again.
   "Lexie..."
   After I've done signing the form, I sees the depressing look on Ethan's face, it's like he's dying on the inside. It's unbelievable at first, then it's painful, lastly, it's hopeless.
   I can feel what he's feeling too.
   Did I just did something wrong? Ethan, he cares about my presence too?