30: A Little Lost

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman^

"I realized I was into girls when I was ten. I was just completely in love with this girl down the street and we used to play together."

Blake and I were sitting on the couch, backs against each end of the couch, listening to her story about how she knew she liked girls. I couldn't help but smile as I was very interested in the story she was telling.

She was telling me everything, including that she was bi and it didn't really surprise me cause I kind of already knew.

When I asked if dad knew, she said no but she wasn't telling him now since it's been this long that they've been together.

I could tell that she was still stressed about having feelings towards me and she didn't know what to do. I told her I didn't know either cause what is there to do.

She told me she was still in love with my dad, which didn't settle well with me but I didn't say anything. She said that her feelings for me weren't leaving anytime soon and that's what scared her the most.

"I feel.. guilty. Every time I'm near him and I think of you.. it's something I hate."

Listening to her say that, as I knew she felt bad, made me feel bad cause there was literally nothing for us to do about this.

As we were sitting there in silence, I look over at her as she had her arm on the couch and her head in her palm. She was staring at the wall across the room and I knew she was thinking about something deep.

"What's your favorite song?"

She looks over at me. "Um.. not sure."

"You don't know your favorite song?" I ask.

I watch as she stares at me before thinking for a moment. "Fast Car." She smiles at me.

"By Tracy Chapman?"

"You know it?"

"Of course." I smile.

"It's a really old song."

I nodded as I knew it was back in the eighties, which was about eighty years ago but I still knew it.

"I like older songs."

"Me too." She smiles.

Looking at her, I smile before getting up. "I'll be back." I ran upstairs to my room before grabbing the guitar.

I pulled the strap over my shoulder as I walked back downstairs. I walked to the living room and saw Blake sitting on the couch as she looked over at me.

"What are you doing?"

I sat down on the arm of the couch as my feet were on the couch. I smiled as I looked down at the guitar and thought for a moment as I was trying to figure out the first chord.

After a moment, I started playing then looked over at Blake as se was watching me. I smiled as I looked back down at the guitar before singing.

"You got a fast car, I want a ticket to anywhere maybe we can make a deal. Maybe together we can get somewhere, any place is better. Starting from zero, got nothing to lose. Maybe we'll make something. Me, myself I got nothing to prove."

I kept singing as I was watching her smile at me. She was watching me as I was going through the verses, about to hit the chorus.

Before I could start singing the chorus, I look over as Blake started singing the chorus instead.

"So remember when were driving, driving in your car. Speeds so fast it felt like I was drunk. City lights out before us and your arm felt nice wrapped around my shoulder and I had a feeling that I belonged.. and I had a feeling that I could be someone." She smiles after she was done and I slowly stopped playing as I was staring at her.