21: Waiting For The Punch

That night..

The one night.

Changed everything.

The next morning, dad left for work as I was wide awake. I heard him talking on the phone before leaving an hour later.

I got up and walked around my room for a while, picking out my clothes for school then checking the time every minute.

I couldn't wait to leave the house.

Blake didn't show her face anymore last night.

I remember walking downstairs to eat with dad. I asked where Blake was and he said she started feeling sick and went upstairs to lay down.

That made me feel like an idiot.

If I could of just left my feelings inside instead of them coming out then I wouldn't have done the stupid shit I did.

I didn't mean to do it.

She was so close to me and I was getting lost in her eyes..

It was a pull that I couldn't get out of.

Now I'll have to deal with the consequences.

When it was finally time to leave, I grabbed a soda from downstairs and ran out the front door as fast as I could.

Blake's car was in the driveway so I knew she was still here and that's what scared me.

After I was gone and down the road, I stopped a stop sign and screamed as loud as I could. I hit the steering wheel a few times then sat there in silence until I felt so terrible.

I didn't even want to go to school.

Maybe I could skip.

Just this one time.

But where the hell would I even go?

I'm not going back home and school was the only place that kept my mind busy.

Sighin, I drove to the school then parked in a spot before sitting there. I kept thinking about last night I definitely didn't get any sleep cause of it.

I was so tired.

As I grabbed my bag and soda, I locked my doors then walked to the school building. I sighed as I knew I had less than three months now and I was more than ready.

Now I really want to leave.

I walked to the library and sat down at the table. I leaned my head on a book and sat there as it was quiet and calming in here.

Looking at the time, I had ten minutes until class started so that was enough time to sleep. I folded my arms underneath my chin and laid there for a moment until someone dropped a book in front of me and scared me.

I saw Amelia smiling at me before sitting down across from me. "You look tired."

"I am. Thanks for making my heart stop."

She chuckles as she kept looking at me. "Do you even sleep anymore?"

I look at her for a moment. "What's sleep?"

"Reagan.. that's not good for you."

"I can't sleep anymore."

"Why? What's going on?"

I sighed as I sat there, knowing damn well I wasn't about to tell her everything.

"I don't know. Sleep hates me."

"Take some meds?"

Shaking my head, I closed my eyes. "Not going to help. Just my mind keeps me awake."

"You need to talk to someone about it?"

"No. I'm fine."

I stayed there with my eyes closed and really felt like I could just sleep forever.

Amelia tried talking to me but I really didn't feel like talking. I just wanted to go through today without passing out and forgetting everything that has happened the last few days.

When class started, Amelia followed me to my locker as I grabbed a book then went to class. She told me that if there's anything wrong then I can talk to her.

I told her thanks but didn't say anything else.

Wasn't taking a change of telling her anyways.

Nobody is going to know about this.

Throughout classes, I was tired and almost fell asleep a few times. I woke myself up and tried not to fall asleep but it was hard.

When lunch came around, I stared outside where the cool weather felt amazing. I was alone and told Connor that I was going out to eat but of course I didn't.

I was hiding away from everyone.

The other classes were a blur and I really didn't do anything in music class. I rememer Connor asking what was wrong a lot of times but I just said I was tired.

When Miss Allen's class came around, I was doodling on the desk as she was teaching. I tried paying attention some times but it was hard when my mind was on shut down mode.

Then I fell asleep.

"Reagan!"

I jerked my head up to see Miss Allen standing in front of the classroom, looking directly at me as a lot of people were chuckling.

"Are you sleeping?"

"Sorry." I said without lying.

She looks at me and I could tell she knew something cause I saw her aggressive walls collaspe.

"Pay attention."

After she went back to teaching, I kept myself awake as I stared up at the front and paid attention until class was over.

When the bell rung, everyone was leaving and I was packing my bag up before getting up. I walked to the front and towards the door but was stopped when Miss Allen said my name.

"Reagan, stay back a minute?"

Looking at her, I walked back and stood in front of her desk. "Yes ma'am?"

She was sitting at her desk then folds her arms in front of her before looking up at me. "Is everything ok?"

There's no counting on how many times someone has asked me that same question in the same few days.

Is everything ok?

No.

But let's make people keep thinking that there is.

"Yes. Just tired." I shrugged. "I didn't get much sleep last night and I just need rest."

She kept looking at me before nodding. "I was just wondering. You weren't acting like yourself and you usually don't sleep in my class. Just disrupt it." She chuckles.

Nodding, I kept looking at her. "Sorry. It won't happen again."

I saw her nod as she stared at me. "Ok. Well, have a great afternoon." She smiles.

After I walked out, I felt more than tired and it was slowly eating me alive. I wasn't sure what to even do now cause I didn't want to go home.

I knew what was waiting for me and I wasn't ready for it.