13: Getting Better

The weekend wasn't anything special.

It came and went so fast.

I worked and came home to sleep. I didn't do anything else cause I was mentally exhausted. I wanted to sleep for a while and feel better, but wasn't sure if that would even help.

My mind was still replaying everything that happened last week. I remember waking up from a dream about my mom again and it kept me awake for the remainder of the night.

Dad was doing better cause he wasn't drinking anymore and was actually nice for one. I remember coming home from work Sunday afternoon and he pulled me into a hug, telling me how sorry he was.

He cried for the first time in years and it surprised me. He kept saying how sorry he was and that he would make it up to me by spending more time with me.

I overheard him talking to Blake one night when I woke up to get something to drink. I walked past their room and heard him tell Blake that he had a dream about Candence, which was my mom's name, and said that he broke down after that.

Told Blake that he was trying to drink her memory away for good.

I didn't know his drinking was cause of my mom but I couldn't understand, at the same time I did, why he would won't to forget her memory.

The next week was pretty much ok.

I started rehearsing with Connor and Amelia again. I kept listening to them go on about how I needed to sing but I was still disagreeing with them.

Monday afternoon, Miss Allen kept me after school and helped me get my grades back up. I didn't realize how much I needed that until it was actually happening.

I stayed an hour after school with her and we worked together on my work. I understood more since she was explaining it directly to me and I got a lot of questions right.

I was proud of myself.

So was Miss Allen.

Connor and Amelia asked why I was at school after hours and I told them the truth. I wanted to get my grades back up cause that other week was terrible.

They made me sing a few times at rehearsal and that made things a little better but I was still unsure about it.

We had less than a week before the performance and I was getting nervous now.

"I can play drums." Amelia said. "I'm great on drums. Connor can still be on guitar and you'll sing."

I looked at them as they kept telling me that I needed to sing cause I was such an amazing singer, but I still had a feeling in my gut that made me nervous.

Even Miss Allen asked if I was going to sing but I told her that I didn't know. She kept telling me that when she heard me sing, it was beautiful and that I should really consider.

But singing in front of the entire school is something different than singing alone.

A big difference.

"You're doing better, Reagan." Miss Allen smiles as I was sitting at her desk. "You're grades have come back up. You did well on that test last week and your assignments are great." She looks at me and smiles. "I'm proud of you."

"I owe you, Miss Allen." I look at her. "If it wasn't for you then I wouldn't have been doing so good."

She smiles as she leans back. "You're welcome. You've been doing good this week."

I nod as I look at her. I thanked her a million times cause I was struggling to get my work done and understand what we were actually learning.

Everything that's been going on was keeping me from getting shit done at school.