14: Constant Motion

The rest of the week went by pretty great.

I was doing better in English and Miss Allen was basically praising me for it. It was nice to actually have her smile at me instead of being a bitch towards me.

The rehearsals were going great and I finally decided to sing. I was still nervous about it but we've been practicing for the whole week and up until late at night.

Blake and I were doing things together again. We cleaned together, cooked and it was pretty great.

Dad came around and started paying attention to me again. I was happy but I wasn't sure how long that would last cause it usually doesn't last long.

He hasn't really paid attention to me in five years. I wasn't sure how long this was going to last but I was on the edge, waiting for it.

That weekend, I had to work but afterwards we all went out to eat one night. It was pretty nice but when dad would get close to Blake, pulling her close to him and kissing her cheek, I had to look away cause it reminded me of mom.

Blake caught onto it pretty quick that night, even though I didn't make such a big deal out of it. I just was looking at the table a lot and not really looking at them.

We were a family that night and it felt good but it didn't last long and I knew that it wouldn't.

After that night, I was invisible again to dad. I was overlooked and he only greeted me a few times but never talked to me.

Blake tried talking to me but I ignored her. I didn't want her telling me it was ok and all that bullshit. I was tired of listening to the lies and the constant motion that I was in.

Stuck in this house.

Surrounded by the memories of my mom.

All the time.

It was getting too much.

I couldn't wait to leave.

When another week came around, it was the week of the performance I was more than nervous. I was always in the music class, practicing as Connor was in there with and sometimes Amelia would come in to rehearse with us.

I finally found the song I wanted to do and I was more than ready to perform it.

Our music teacher was watching us a lot as we were practicing and I knew she was just as excited as we were.

"How's life at home?" Amelia asks.

I shrug as I sat down and took a sip of water. "My dad is back on his bullshit. He was ok the last few weeks after he started drinking a lot. Even talked to me about how we needed to do more things together. He was talking to me, taking us out to eat then boom. It all ended."

"I wonder if it has anything to do with Blake." Amelia asks. "I mean.. this woman came into your house and just took over."

"But she's not that bad. She doesn't boss me around like other step mom's or whatever. She's nice and we've been bonding."

"But I wonder if he's acting like this cause of her. Maybe she's twisting his mind and making him act like a dick towards you. Treating you nice but making him treat you like shit."

I thought about it for a moment before shaking my head. "I doubt it. Why would she do that?"

"Step mom's don't like the kids. They never do. They want the father and only the father."

"Cinderella." Connor said.

Amelia looks over at him. "The father was no longer in the picture."