31. Haunted Past

"Mama, are you gonna read me a story today?"

"Sorry but no, I'm too busy."

You frowned as your mother pressed a kiss against your forehead. Then she smiled as she closed the door. You threw your blanket off and ran to your bookshelf.

You pulled a trigger and it began to open. You entered it and it closed behind you. Inside was a cozy pillow fort with fluffy blankets.

Toys and jewelry hung from the walls and ceiling. A boy came into view, his black eyes shining.

"Hey (Y/n)." He got comfortable underneath the pillows. "Come here, it's pretty cold."

You became flustered and slipped underneath the pillows and covers. The boy faced you, cuddling up and closing his eyes.

"This place is so much better than sleeping in the hay."

"S-sorry." You apologized. "You have to sleep in an uncomfortable space."

The boy stared at you before smiling, "You're a lady of high social status. What are you doing, apologizing to a servant like me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"You apologized."

"Sorry-"

"And again."

"So-"

He put his hand over your lips, pouting. "I told you to stop apologizing."

His hand stopped you from apologizing again. He removed it with a sigh and patted your head.

"It's fine, sleeping in hay is uncomfortable but it's better than other people living in the slums."

You frowned when he mentioned the slums. "I wish I can do something. But mama said that I should just study and not worry about people in the slums."

"I know you should listen to your Mama but don't listen to her. You're the future of their lives. You are marrying the son of the king, right?"

You nodded.

"Then you'll have a lot of power and be able to save them."

You brightened. "I promise I will!"

"Promise!"

"I have to eat a thousand needles if I don't!" You hooked your pinky with his.

His black eyes gently gazed at you, "Yeah."

Your eyes fluttered open when the sun hit your face. You sat up, groaning and feeling your arms ache.

"(Y/n), are you okay?"

Was that a voice? You were in a daze, unable to process anything.

"Oi, healer!! Answer!"

You pressed fingers against your forehead, groaning. The sun was too bright for you.

"That poison must've done something to you," Shoto said as he worked on your leg.

You looked up to see your leg severely bleeding. "What happened?"

"We were attacked." Your brother stated as if it were obvious.

"By some thugs." Katsuki added on, "but we took them all out. You're the only one hurt."

Your head thumped and you laid down again, closing your eyes. "That's...a tragedy."

"And...she's asleep again." Your brother sighed and sat down. "Well, might as well rest for a while."

Back in your dream, you found yourself looking up at the same boy. His eyes no longer held warmth. Instead, they were cold and filled with malice.

"I've always hated nobles. They're stupid enough to think that because they're living okay, everything else is okay."

You tugged at your hands that were tied up. Your brother cried as he was thrown next to you. You scooted over but stopped when a person grabbed your arms and forced you to your feet.

"What do we do with her?"

"Leave her. I'm going to kill her with my own hands."

You struggled against the ropes as he approached you. The person left, making you panic. You closed your eyes, hunching your shoulders.

"Get out of here, run as fast as you can." He sliced through the ropes, "They're here for your power so run far away."

He turned to your brother and cut through his ropes. "Sorry, your wrists are bruised up."

Grabbing your wrists, he gently massaged them.

"Please forgive me." He narrowed his eyes at your wrists. "Leave before they find you."

"But..."

"Just go! They're going to get you!"

You grabbed your brother's hand and ran. Your playmate was grabbed by the person and was beat with a stick. You wanted to turn back but they were chasing after you.

So you continued, tears streaming down your face and gently soaking your clothes.