12. Chapter Twelve

Y/N

"So, Y/N dear, when was the last time you two talked?" Maki Zenin's voice rang through my ears.

I shrugged. I cannot even remember it anymore.

"I think it has been a week, I am not sure."

"Would you be fine? The competition is drawing near you see, feelings should not be in our way. The other party is a very tough opponent, Y/N."

With a sigh, she walked towards where I was and tapped my shoulder lightly. After that, she left me.

I looked heavenwards, my eyes meeting the beautiful sky. A small smile formed upon my lips.

With a sigh, I spoke. "I miss you, Toge Inumaki."

I stayed there for quite a while, letting myself drown in my reverie. But then, I knew that there were better things to do than this.

So, with another heavy sigh, I finally stood up and left the place, swearing that I'd go back after the night ends.

"Hey Y/N! Where have you been?"

Nobara's smiling face met my frowning expression. Her bright, wide smile was contagious that it made me smile too. A chuckle even escaped my mouth.

"Just somewhere unimportant."

She nodded happily and then continued talking. "You should've seen me! I landed a punch on Inumaki's stomach! And woah! I felt it, he's got abs! If I was given a chance, I'd do that again!"

My smile instantly fell upon hearing what she had just said. My heart twitched in pain and I saw nothing but green. Jealousy, envy.

Why was it always her? And I saw them one time, they were having a conversation. Does Inumaki like her? I pursed my lips.

The thought got me frowning, unable to give Nobara a smile anymore.

If ever I find out that he likes Nobara . . . I will back off, of course. Because Nobara clearly likes him too, who was I to stop them, right? I frowned at that.

The thoughts inside my mind made me heav a heavy sigh and just tapped her shoulder. I was planning to turn around and leave her there but she stopped me. I must've been pretty obvious.

"You've been like that to me for weeks, Y/N. You know, forced smiles and odd silence. Did I do something wrong?" She asked.

Yes, you like the man I like, and maybe he likes you too.

I shook my head. "Nah, I'm just always tired from training. See ya tomorrow."

Still, she did not let go of my arm. I heard her heave a sigh. "Do you like Inumaki?" She asked again.

Yes, but he doesn't like me back.

I looked at her. With a small smile, I did nothing but to stare at those oblivious eyes that I suddenly felt the urge to poke with a sword for a reason I do not know. I mentally slapped myself for feeling that way.

She did nothing but to be a good friend, Y/N.

So, instead of speaking, I removed Nobara's hand in my arm in a rather harsh way.

I was not in the mood, really.

"I am so freaking thirsty," I mumbled as I wiped the sweat off my forehead.

The training was long done and Megumi was taking so long. Not taking the heat anymore, I leaned against the large tree and closed my eyes as I hummed some random tune.

After a few minutes, I heard walking footsteps nearing to where I was and felt a presence in front of me, causing my eyes to open and check who the person was.

My eyes blinked a couple of times.

Am I really not dreaming? Is Toge Inumaki really in front of me, in flesh, handing me a cup of water? I blinked again, his figure never disappeared.

The cup was purple that it made me swallow. One of my favourite color.

I mentally slapped myself, maybe it was just a coincidence?

Then, my lips slowly parted in shock and utter disbelief. I almost laughed at my late reaction.

After ignoring me for weeks, here he was, giving me false hopes again. I stared at the cup of water he was holding. I let out a small smile and looked at the handsome man in front of me, still smiling.

"I am so confused, Inumaki."

After saying those, I turned my head around, not touching the cup of water he was offering me and letting him taste his own medicine.

Now you know how it feels to be shut down, Toge Inumaki.

Just as I was about to walk away from him, my eyes caught Megumi's figure causing me to halt and wait for him. He was holding two botttles of water which got me smiling, not smirking though because I was not planning anything evil.

If you plan to stick with Nobara, then I have Megumi for me too, Toge Inumaki.

"There . . ." Megumi said, handing me a bottle of water he just successfully opened. I immdiately drank half of it.

" . . . Sorry for the long wait, Inumaki-senpai asked a favour to get him a purple cup and I had a hard time looking for one. Again, sorry. You must have been really thirsty." Megumi looked apologetic.

Wait...purple cup?

TO BE CONTINUED...