Chapter 4: Recollection

Mr. Moore raised an eyebrow. "Dr. Collingwood, are you okay? Your jaw doesn't look too good."

"Don't worry, it's nothing," she murmured back, clapping her hand over the bruise. It had gone down quite a bit since last night, having turned paler in color, but hadn't really shrunk at all.

She lowered her head and walked a little faster. Director Jones had called a sudden meeting today about the containment breach.

She ended up arriving early and took a seat next to Dr. Buck.

"What is this about?" she asked.

"I have the feeling that it has something to do with you accidentally stumbling into 096's cell," Dr. Buck replied.

After a while Director Jones entered the room and stepped to the front.

"Good morning everyone. As you are aware, after yesterday's containment breach, a scientist was found lying unconscious within SCP-096's containment chamber." Dr. Collingwood felt the director's eyes on her and lowered her head.

Jones continued. "The head researcher for SCP-096 was checking over the audio recording equipment recently installed into its cell and found this." He held up a tape, which he inserted in a VHS player.

The first sound that could be heard were the distant alarms, then noise of metal sliding on metal. Then footsteps and heavy breathing as the sliding was heard again, then a scream which Dr. Collingwood recognized as her own. More running footsteps. A scream being forced back.

Silence.

Then slow, soft padding and a scraping noise. Quiet once more. Then her own voice again.

"Um... h-hello?"

No response, then a mumble.

"S-Sorry, I couldn't hear that."

A slightly louder, but still incomprehensible mutter.

"Could you speak up please?"

A deep sigh. Then a soft, male voice said quietly "Hello".

As the tape went on, something tugged at the edge of her mind. The other voice in the recording sounded familiar, even though she was quite sure that no one else spoke like that.

Finally, the ending of the tape.

"Well, looks like I have to leave."

"That... might as well be for the best. I'm sorry, but I... I think it's better if you don't remember this."

"Wait, wha-"

What sounded like a smack rang out, which was followed by a muffled thump and the tape ended.

Jones took out the tape and folded his hands, looking straight at her. "Can you recall your encounter with SCP-096 now, Dr. Collingwood?"

"His name is familiar, as well as his voice, but nothing more, sir."

"Very well then. This meeting is over."