Chapter 36: Dr. I-Don't-Give-A-F*ck

"Hey, Molly, how's SCP-999?" Eddie fiddled with his tail.

"Oh, he's okay."

"Not scared of him anymore?" he said teasingly.

"Nope. Not anymore."

Billy's head whipped around as the familiar click-click of heels drew closer and closer. "Guys! Dr. I-Don't-Give-A-F*ck is coming!"

Simon glared at the sloth, which was remarkable considering the fact that he had no eyes. "Really, Billy? Really? I hate her as much as you do, but there's no excuse for that."

Charlie got off his seat and bowed when Dr. Buck came by. "Good afternoon, Dr. Buck."

Billy was facing away from Dr. Buck, fists clenched, eyes shut. Dr. Collingwood snapped her fingers in his face and next to his ears. "Billy? Billy? Hello? Anyone home?"

Charlie poked him in the back. "Billy? Wake up, silly head, just because you're ignoring Dr. Buck doesn't mean that she suddenly doesn't exist. That's not how things work around here."

Billy, still not looking at Dr. Buck, spoke through gritted teeth. "Hi, Blonde B- I mean, Amelia."

Dr. Buck seemed to ignore him and turned to Charlie. "I apologize for my very-" she coughed, "-unprofessional behavior towards your father when, well... you probably know."

Charlie laughed. "There's no need to apologize. He deserves to experience the full scorn and hatred of everyone here. I've never seen Soaring Hawk laugh so hard in his life, and I've known him since I was a boy."

Dr. Buck raised an eyebrow. "Soaring Hawk?"

"One of the elders of the pack."

She nodded. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting with Director Jones to get to."

Dr. Buck turned and walked briskly away.

John glared at Billy. "Look, I'll be honest, Dr. Buck's far from the most friendly or warm-hearted or moral person I've met, but she's not the Scarlet King. Was that really necessary?"

"Yes. Yes it was. She may have changed, but she needs someone to make sure that she doesn't forget what she's done to others."

Billy stood up and left.