Chapter 38: Bearded Bastard

John noticed that Dr. Collingwood wasn't quite herself when she sat down next to him at lunch break. "Dr. Collingwood? You okay?"

"I'm fine," she muttered through gritted teeth. He'd seen her leaving a meeting earlier today with an oddly... frustrated (?) expression, lips pressed into a thin line, jaw clenched, brow furrowed, eyes blazing.

"You look... frustrated, or something like that. Just plain upset."

Billy dragged his claws across the table. He also seemed a little more pissed than normal.

John turned to him. "Was it Dr. Buck?"

"No," Simon growled. "Something worse."

"It's the f*cking Bearded Bastard," Billy grumbled.

John sighed. He had heard stories from other staff members about how harsh Dr. Logan was. "What did he do?"

"Dr. Logan was being a jerka** again, that's what," Simon snapped. "What else do you expect from him? You've heard what he's like."

John glanced at Dr. Collingwood again. Still doesn't explain why she looks sort of angry. She's never upset without good reason.

Charlie gave John a confused look. "I don't get it either. Whatever he did, I wasn't there to hear it."

Eddie almost shrieked. "He was f*cking sh*t-talking John!"

John could feel his old anxiety coming back. "Di-did I do something wrong?"

Dr. Collingwood put her head down on the table. "No," she growled through her teeth.

"Then I don't mind. It's not a big deal if I didn't do something wrong."

Eddie was about to reply but for the fact that Dr. Buck walked in, with Dr. Logan trailing behind her. The former didn't look too happy about that fact. Dr. Collingwood sighed and sat up.

"Good to see you again, Dr. Buck. Hello, Dr. Logan." Her head was turned and lowered just enough for her scar to be hidden.

Dr. Buck nodded. "Good to see you too, Dr. Collingwood." Dr. Logan was quiet.

Charlie's face curled into a half-smile. Simon merely nodded at Dr. Buck, ignoring Dr. Logan entirely. Eddie couldn't even manage that. He just turned away from them. Billy was giving him a hard stare.