Chapter 28: Nostalgia

"Too bad the 939 brothers can't really spend time with us," John sighed.

"I agree." Dr. Collingwood nodded. "They seemed really nice."

"We could talk through the wall of their cell," Billy suggested, fiddling with a pencil in his claws.

"Bloodfang or his sycophants could hear us, you know," John reminded him. "And Dr. Collingwood can't do that at all because... you know."

"Yeah. I know." Billy reached over and ruffled Dr. Collingwood's hair. "Mother's Day is tomorrow, by the way."

She looked away. "Billy, stop that."

"No. Never," he replied with a grin.

She rolled her eyes.

-------------------------------

Dr. Collingwood logged out of her computer, took off her glasses, and pinched the bridge of her nose. The phone rang. She picked it up and brought it to her ear.

"Hello?"

A low, husky voice name from the other end. "Molly? Sweetheart, you there?"

She gulped. She knew that voice. "Dad?"

Her father chuckled. "Is everything going alright for you?"

"Yeah."

They talked for a long while, reminiscing about the old days and her childish antics. She hadn't seen her father in a long time and missed him dearly. Eventually it always came to the one topic that she hated thinking about, but could never be avoided.

"I miss Mom," she said softly.

"I know, sweetie, but at least she's with the Lord in heaven now," her father said comfortingly.

"I-I know."

They talked for a little longer. Once it came time for him hang up, she shut her eyes, wished him well, and stammered out a quick goodbye.