Chapter 16: World of Tissue Paper

Dr. Collingwood had been walking around for the past five minutes, but even now she couldn't find any sign of him. Her footsteps quickened to a run when she heard John's soft, padding walk.

"There you are!" She ran up to him and placed a hand on his pale shoulder.

John pushed her hand off.

"Go away," he murmured dejectedly.

"John-"

"I said go away!" He spun around and backhanded her across the face, sending her sprawling on the floor. Billy burst in from another door.

"What happened he- John, what the- !"

"Don't worry, I'm fine." Dr. Collingwood sprang back onto her feet.

John backed up against the wall, eyes darting between the researcher and the sloth-man.

"Calm down, man, we know you didn't mean to," Billy said reassuringly. Lawrence, Agent Green, Carson, Mr. Moore, and Dr. Buck crowded into the room.

"Uh, what's going on?" Mr. Moore stared at John nervously.

"No, no, no, none of you understand." John clutched his head and his voice rose and rose. "It's like living in a world made of soaked tissue paper. If I touch someone or something, it'll break, completely on accident. I can't lose control, even for an instant. If I do, I could destroy something, or even..." his voice dropped to a sobbing, choked whisper, "kill someone. And... and that someone could be-"

"John," Dr. Collingwood said quietly, "you're getting better at not hurting me."

John glared at her. "Am I really getting better at not hurting you, or are you just getting better at hiding it?"

With that, he bolted away. Dr. Collingwood tried to run after him, but Billy's firm hand on her shoulder stopped her.

"I'll try to talk to him," he said quietly, his usual fun, joking, laid-back demeanor gone.