Chapter 14: Bruised

"BOO!"

Billy burst out of the janitor's closet with a scream.

Dr. Collingwood let out a yelp as John's hand closed around her wrist with a grip of steel. He had a bit of a habit of grabbing onto her whenever he was startled or scared.

"Ow!"

John quickly let go and Billy rushed to her. "Molly, are you okay?"

"Don't worry, I'm fine. It just hurts a little. John, could you be a little more careful when you grab my arm or my shoulder next time?"

John nodded, staring at the floor with a look of shame. She patted his shoulder.

"It's okay," she said reassuringly. "I'm not mad."

He didn't respond.

------------------------------

Dr. Collingwood jerked her hand away when Lawrence tried to reach for it.

Lawrence raised an eyebrow. "Er, I don't mean to pry, but why are you holding your arm like that?"

"Oh, uh, nothing."

"Looks like you hurt your arm."

"Uh... I banged it against a table."

"Must've been a very... interesting table."

She let out a sigh and gently grabbed his hand. "Don't worry about it. I'm fine."

He looked down at her arm for a moment, then his eyes widened in alarm. Without warning he grabbed her forearm and rolled her sleeve back, revealing a large, purple bruise in the shape of a hand. She winced as his hand passed over it.

It was right then when John walked in.

A few people had walked over to see what was going on. Dr. Buck looked over at John.

"Is this the first time this happened?"

"No."                                     "Yes."

John glanced at her. "Don't lie," he said quietly.

She sighed. "No, this isn't the first time."

John could've sworn he felt everyone's eyes on him. All looking at him with accusatory looks.

"I-It was an accident... I-I-I didn't mean to... i-i-it-"

It was no use. His chest felt tight and the walls closed in.

Your fault your fault your fault your fault YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT- 

John gulped, then ran out the door.