Chapter 56: Jumpscare

Dr. Collingwood walked through one of the facility's winding corridors. Even though she was used to it, at times it still felt like a labyrinth with no end, a maze that went on forever.

A door flew open and out came a high, shrill screech and a large, hulking shape came barreling out and grabbed her collar, lifting her up into the air. "Gotcha!"

She screamed. "LAWRENCE! CHARLIE! JOHN!"

A bubbly voice laughed. "Silly, it's just me! Billy!"

John and Charlie stormed into the hallway. John was the first to react.

"Billy, what the h*ll!"

Billy let go of her collar. "It was just a prank!"

"It's not funny! I actually thought that she was in danger!"

Dr. Collingwood glared at Billy. "You gave me a heart attack!"

"Well, now you guys know it was a joke! No need to be all freaked out and stuff."

She turned away, her lips slowly curling into a snarl, then to a grin as a plan of revenge quickly unfolded in her mind.

A few days later...

Billy grinned to himself as he strolled through the facility, thinking up more pranks to pull on site personnel. He decided to just go hang out in the supply closet. No one would bother him there.

He opened the door and just so happened to glance up. Up near the top of the doorway was a pair of glowing white eyes and an unnaturally wide grin with glowing white teeth.

--------------------------------

"WHAT THE F*CK!?"

Charlie's head whipped around in the direction of the voice. He held back a grin. Moments later one of the doors blew open.

"Wha-what's goin' on?" Lawrence sounded alarmed.

Billy sounded terrified. "Th-th-the there's a monster in the supply closet!"

"What? If something breached containment or broke into the facility, the alarms would be screaming like a little kid in a horror movie." Thomas sounded unconvinced.

A high, piercing laugh made Charlie wince. A door opened and there was the familiar uneven footsteps.

"Dr. Collingwood? What's so funny?" Charlie couldn't resist giggling when he heard Billy's voice. She sounded like she was laughing too hard to answer. Billy seemed to notice him giggling too.

"What's so funny?!" he yelled.

Lawrence chuckled. "Yeah, Billy, I think we all know who the 'monster' really was."

Charlie could hear the air quotes around the word "monster".

He didn't know how Molly managed to speak with how hard she was laughing, but she did.

"Gotcha back!"