Chapter 53: Lungri

Dr. Collingwood shuffled out of the hospital wing, limping on her left leg slightly, and slowly made her way back to the staff canteen. It felt good to stretch her legs again after being cooped up in a hospital bed for several weeks.

She hadn't taken five steps into the room before a brown shape ambushed her and grabbed her in a hug.

"Molly! You're okay!"

She leaned back, trying to see who it was. A pale brown face and a pair of blue eyes greeted her.

A low, snarling voice spoke. "Billy! You could've hurt her!"

Billy let go of her and turned. "C'mon, Simon, I was worried about her. Did you expect me to not be excited when she came back?"

"Still. Be a little more gentle."

Dr. Collingwood laughed. "It's okay, I don't mind."

Eddie suddenly tossed a crumpled-up piece of paper at her. "Catch!"

She reached out to catch it... or tried to. Her hands missed it by about two feet.

"Did she catch it?" Eddie turned to Lawrence.

Lawrence gave her a sympathetic look. "No."

Eddie giggled, shaking his head. "All these years later, Molly, and you still can't catch. Some things just never change."

John groaned. "Eddie, shut up."

She sat down next to John. "Charlie, I wanted to ask you about this earlier, but I didn't really have the time to."

"Well, what is it?"

"Remember when Bloodfang breached containment again for the second time?"

"Yes."

"Well, are they going to replace him as pack leader?"

"Yes."

"Will... you be leader?"

Charlie was silent for a moment, then sighed.

"No. I do not believe that I am suited for that kind of responsibility. For all that Gallant taught me, it will be very little compared to actual experience. The elders are choosing a different person to lead."

"Have they made their pick yet?"

"No."

*The title is inspired from Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. In it, a tiger named Shere Khan is born lame in one foot, and is called Lungri (Lame One).