The Owl House (Hunter)

Hunter used to be my best friend. He was so sweet and nerdy. But ever since he became "The Golden Guard" he's changed. We hardly ever talk or hang out anymore because he's always so busy. I miss him.

I walked into the palace hoping to find him so we could talk. Instead I found Kiki. Ugh, I really don't like her.
"I'm looking for Hun—, I mean, The Golden Guard. Is he here?"
"He's in a meeting with Emperor Bellos."
"Would you let him know I came by? I'd really like to talk with him."
"He's very busy."
"Right..." I sighed. "Could you at least pass a message along?"
Kiki sighed, annoyed, "Fine. What's the message?"
"'Happy birthday. Sorry I couldn't tell you in person.'" I turned and left.

When I returned home I just felt so sad and bored that I ended up laying in bed all day. I didn't have many close friends. Before, it was mostly me and Hunter. I wish I could go back in time, or just have my best friend back.
I even had a gift for him but I couldn't trust Kiki with it. Besides I had wanted to give it to him myself.
I sigh, "Maybe next time."

~•~•~

The meeting with Bellos ran longer than intended. I felt all the exhaustion overcome me as I walked out the room. Then Kiki decided to come up to me.
"Golden Guard!" She shouted at me to get my attention.
"What is it, Kiki?"
"A message for you. 'Happy birthday. Sorry I couldn't tell you in person.' There. I did my part." And she left.
Happy birthday? Was it really my birthday? How could I forget? Well, it's not like I have time to celebrate it anyway.
"Who was the message from?" I call out to Kiki before she disappeared.
"Some girl about your age." She shouted back and was gone.
Could it be...?
I grabbed my staff and headed out.

I was somewhat nervous when I had reached my destination. I hadn't talked to Catalina in so long, I wonder if she was mad at me.
Instead of knocking on the front door, I knocked on the window and took a peak inside.
She was laying in bed, her back faced me. I knocked again thinking she didn't hear me or was asleep. This time, she got up and opened the window. I flew inside.
She seemed tense. I realized that I was still in uniform and I am part of the Royal Coven. Maybe she thought I was here on business.
"You can relax." I assured her. "I'm here as a friend."
"Friend, huh?" She sounded disappointed.
"I'm sorry we haven't talked or hung out. I've been very busy."
"It's ok. Not like we're still 6. Besides, you're' 'The Golden Guard' now." She used air quotes.
"Cat..." I sigh, "I wish I could explain."
"You don't get to call me that anymore. Ever since you joined that stupid coven you changed! You say you're here as a friend but you haven't even taken off that stupid helmet or dropped that staff!"
"It's to protect me. You never know when someone might try to attack—!"
"No, it's a stupid intimidation tactic!"
"I'm plenty intimidating without it!" I argue.
"Yeah right." She scoffed. I took it off and dropped my staff. Immediately I saw her relax more which was only proving her point about me.
As I stalled up to her, she stepped back until her back was against the wall.
"Why do you keep backing up if I don't intimidate you?" I asked.
"Because you keep getting closer to me, jerk!"
I slammed my hands on the wall on each side of her and get closer to her face. That's when she started tensing up again and I saw her cheeks flush pink.
"Are you intimidated yet?" I asked.
"No! I'm not!" She said looking down at the ground.
"Then why can't you look at me?" I smirk.
She shoved me and walked to the center of the room. It was quiet for a moment.
"I should be going. I have important stuff to take care of." I said grabbing my things.
"Hunter, wait!" Catalina stopped me. "I have something for you." She opened her drawer and pulled out a wrapped box. "Open it later. Happy birthday."
"Thanks." I smile. It's been a while since someone I've received anything for my birthday. "I promise we'll hang out soon."
"We better!" She threatened.
I hopped on my staff and took off.

~•~•~

After Hunter had gone, I ran to my pillow and screamed! He was so close to my face! I had hoped he would kiss me but felt even more relieved that he didn't. But I'm glad to have been able to talk with him again, even if it was just for 5 minutes. 

Maybe one day I'll be able to tell him how I feel.