Die

It was just a dare. I never thought that this would happen. No one was supposed to get hurt, but there she was, bleeding out in front of us. I was petrified. I couldn't move no matter how much I wanted to.

She was still laying there, choking on her own blood. After some time, just staring at each other, I realized she was dead. She was dead. No longer breathing. No longer alive. She was dead and yet her eyes still stared at me accusingly. "You did this," her eyes seemed to say. 

When the police arrived, that's when everything began to sink in. They questioned us one by one as the paramedics took the body away. Through my staggered breathing I was able to tell the whole story. I was sure the others would lie and say something stupid like "we just found her there", "she was already dead", or some other bullshit. But I told the truth. I didn't want to get into any more trouble than we already were. I told the police everything. 

It was just a joke. Nothing bad was ever meant to happen.

We were kids then. That day still haunts me. I regret ever agreeing to such a stupid prank. One of these days I'm going to fix it. I'm not sure how, but I will.

I just left home to visit her grave once again to apologize. I went almost every week. I just want her to forgive me. I may not deserve it but... I hope she understands.

"Listen, I know I don't deserve it but I'm asking you to forgive me. Please understand that I never meant for anyone to get hurt!" I speak aloud to the gravestone. There was no response, not that I was expecting one.

"If i had known..." I choke, tears are already streaming down my cheeks. "We were just kids." I sobbed. Still no reply. I wiped my tears and started to leave but then a thought hit me. 

I turned back to the gravestone and asked, "What can I do to fix this? All this time I've asked for forgiveness but I never asked what I can do to earn it."

The winds picked up a little.

"Please, I'll do anything." Immediately, the wind started roaring in my ear, carrying a voice with it.

 Save me.

                       Save me. 

                                                Save me.

Save.               Me.                                Save.                                  Me.

S             a              v               e                      m                   e.

I had no doubt in my mind that this voice belonged to her. 

"Tell me how!" I shouted at the sky. "How can I save you?!"

The wind stopped. Everything was eerily quiet. Then I heard a voice from behind me, whispering in my ear.

"Die."