C3P9 - Coldstuff

Kevin POV-

The wind was howling around me and Vincent, locking us into a frosty chamber of swirling snow. It didn't feel cold yet, but that was to be expected when one of us was a steaming tea-kettle of hormonal rage and the other was a demon.

I lifted my scarf to split on the park-ground, watching it steam into the fresh snow. "Vince,"

He had been staring at his feet since my outburst.

"I need you to give me a few good reasons why I shouldn't strangle you to death right now."

Finally, he met my eyes. They were red, swirling and vibrant as usual, although hard to look into. They seemed to suck at me, poison my emotions with their familiar fire. Even the idea of giving him the satisfaction of me standing down now made my teeth clench.

The wolf stared at me, ruffling the front of his winter jacket as he crossed his strong arms over them.

A moment passed.

"What?" He said flatly, face devoid of emotion. "You didn't say when."

My paw stung from slapping his muzzle as hard as I did. He made an awful whining after the impact, staggering back slightly. I was not a hard hitter, so my guess was his pain wasn't physical. I saw hot tears build in his eyes as he rubbed the side of his face. They seemed to extinguish the small fires.

I felt my quiver tremble, and soon he was just a blur behind my own hot abyss of salty emotion. My voice came out as a croak, "Why the fuck can't you just let me in?"

"I wish I could." The snow seemed to pick up some speed, howling and biting like rabid mutts. "I wish I could tell you everything, but you'd die Kevin. I'm not even exaggerating, I'm not lying: You'd fucking die, Kevin, but you act like I'm cheating on you whenever I don't share absolutely fucking everything." He snarled. "God, is it that hard to pull your tail out of your ass, for just a second, and realise that I might actually care enough about you to not want you to get hurt?"

I bit my lip, my stomach boiling.

"Holy fuck you're braindead, Kev. I'm trying to protect you! You idiot!"

"From what? From Fetch?! He's a teenage German shepherd! What's he going to do? Sniff me for drugs or something?"

"Kev its... Christ, it's not like that."

"Then what is it like?" I said, overwhelmed. "I mean, for fucks sakes. I'm trying to rationalise things but all that's shaping up is you being a demon, entity thing."

His hot paws were locked on my shoulders, squeezing hard. We held an eye-contact so close I couldn't tell whether he was going to kiss me or kill me. His words were quiet, and he actually managed a saddened laugh, "Do you seriously still believe that I'm a demon?" His heart pounding up from his heart, along his arms, into his paws and into me. I could feel every beat he skipped. "Ahh, you don't know anything..."

Gently, I lifted a paw to the side of his face, where I had hit him earlier. He flinched at the sting of my cold digits on the reddening slap-mark I had left. Slowly, he closed his eyes and let me caress him. His heart. Slowed. Beating. Pulsing. I leaned ofer to his ear. "Then tell me... please..."

He quivered, sending descending tears which soaked the brown fur on my arm.

I kissed him on his neck. "Please just tell me who you are. Or what you are."

He shook his head, shaking my paw from his face and taking a step back. He wiped his eyes, a new kind of resilience in them, and glared at me. Finally, he shook his head once more. No.