Chapter Fifty-five

Lilly

"Jarrod!" I yelled, flinging my arms around my brother. "I've missed you."

"Uh, Lilly, let go." Jarrod laughed nervously under me. I held the hug a few seconds longer then released him from. "Lilly, this is Angelique." I smiled warmly at the girl standing half behind him, seeming overwhelmed. She had curly brown hair and a sprinkling of freckles over her cute button nose. She looked nothing like the extreme geek I'd imagined he would get paired with. But, appearances could be deceptive.

"Bonjour," she said

"Bonjour." I replied proudly. "J'ai ... uhm ...." I had reached the extent of my French. I'd never paid attention in that class.

"I speak English," Angelique said, with a small smile.

"Oh, good." I breathed a sigh of relief.

Jarrod led Angelique into the living room, where my dad, Tara, Anne and Eric were waiting. I assumed Laura was there too. Tom and Sarah were coming round later. My mum was in the kitchen, cooking for us all. I went to see her.

"Angelique and Jarrod are here," I told her as I entered the room.

"Is that the time already?" She sounded flustered. "Pass me that bowl, Lilly."

"What one?"

"The one right in front of you!"

I obediently handed it to her. Getting on mum's bad side when she was cooking was never a good idea.

"She speaks English." I commented.

"Jarrod told me," she replied, rather snappily. I bid a hasty retreat. I didn't want to irritate her, she might poison my meal.

I went through to the living room and perched myself on the arm rest of Laura's chair. She wrapped an arm around me to keep me from falling. I whispered 'hey' to her and she smiled but didn't say anything. She'd been really quiet all day and I thought something was up. I was planning to ask her later, when everyone had gone.

I didn't have much time to dwell on her continued silence because I noticed Angelique eyeing us with a tiny furrow between her brows. She said something quietly to Jarrod who nodded. Her face became slightly twisted in disgust and she seemed to be glaring at us.

If she had a problem with Laura and I being in a relationship I swear I would kick her into next week. Homophobes made me see red, how could you judge someone based on who they are attracted to? I just didn't understand it. But what I did understand was that I was going to beat her to a pulp if she said a single word!

Laura's hand gently rubbed circles in my back.

"Calm down." She whispered, "some people need a bit of time to get used to seeing people like us in relationship."

"I know," I fought against shouting at her; this wasn't her fault. "I wish it was just normal."

"You and me both, babe."

I rested my head against hers and stared at nothing. "Um, Lilly?" Laura sounded more timid than I had ever heard before in my life.

"Yeah," I turned my head slightly to see more of her face.

"Uh, do you remember - I mean, were you ... uh, how did you sleep?"

"I slept well. Is something wrong?" I was very confused, why was she so flustered?"

"Not wrong exactly. Last night ... I sort of-" There was a loud knocking at the door and all our heads turned towards it.

"I'll get it," I hopped up off the seat and went to the door. Tom and Sarah stood there, holding a large bottle of wine. "Angelique is here," I made a slight face.