Chapter Thirty-eight

Lilly

Practically the instant I walked through the front door my mother grabbed me by the arm and dragged me into the living room.

"Donald," she shouted up the staircase, "she's home!"

My dad then came thundering downstairs and appeared through the doorway.

"Sit down, we'd like to talk to you," he said sternly.

"Don't worry," my mother smiled at my nervous expression, "it's nothing bad."

They sat in chairs opposite me, both leaning in. I was insanely curious as to what they wanted and, thankfully for my curiosity, my dad began to speak quickly.

"You've been dating Laura for quite a while now, and, although you have just taken a step forward in your relationship, your mother and I feel that you have to start trying to make her fall in love with you."

I was stunned, we hadn't even been together for half a year.

"Don't you think it's a bit early for that?" I asked, my voice conveying my surprise.

"It's never too early. There's no need to cut it close." My father explained.

I didn't want them to be worried, especially my father, so I went along with it for the time being.

"Alright, so what should I do?"

"Your father and I were discussing and we think you should continue what you're doing right now, just add some things." My mother told me.

"Such as?" My curiosity was piqued.

"Well perhaps try and talk about the future, show that you're thinking about having one with her."

Even before she were finished talking I was shaking my head, "it'll scare her. No."

They glanced at each other, a look passing between them I couldn't interpret.

"Are you-"

"I'm sure," I cut my dad off firmly.

"Remember things she tells you, little things to show you care, make sure -" my mum was saying until I stopped her.

"This sounds a lot like I'm trying to trick her into thinking I care," I stated accusingly, irritated.

"It's not like that, Lilly." My father said.

"Then what is it like?"

"We're just trying to help, sweetie," my mum tried to soothe me, "we don't mean to make it sound like we're fooling her, I know you care about her already, we just think this could help you -"

"I don't need your help," I said snappily, standing up.

"Sit down," my father ordered.

"I think I can cope fine on my own. Thank you for trying to help, I appreciate it."

"Lilly, just hear us out, please," my mother begged, "I'm sorry we offended you."

I couldn't handle making her beg and reluctantly agreed, sitting back down, this time on my guard.

"Our last suggestion, for now, is making her jealous," my dad began, "check out other girls, or guys if you wish, perhaps comment on attractive people on TV, maybe even on the street. If she gets irritated you'll know she cares, gauge her reaction well, the more annoyed, the stronger the jealousy thus the more she cares."

I actually liked that one. I wanted to see her worked up and irritated. Plus I'd read somewhere that people could get possessive, something I found very sexy in her.