Chapter Fifty-two

Laura

"What the hell do you mean you won't?"

"She doesn't need to know. Not yet."

"Or until you can find some way to chicken out, right?" Courtney narrowed her eyes at me.

"I just need some time to come to terms with it," I said, excusing myself. Courtney's suspicious and oddly angry expression didn't fade.

"You're going to regret it." She told me sternly. "I waited. And Thomas waited. We nearly lost each other because both of us were too cowardly to admit how much we needed the other. Surely you remember the weeks after he broke up with me?" I did. She had been a complete mess. She'd refused to go to work and had lived off ice cream, pop tarts and copious amounts of coffee. "You want to end up like that?" She snapped, her hands on her hips. I shook my head meekly. "Then tell her!"

I sat silently on the sofa and realised I'd just been put in my place by a five foot nothing petite woman with less strength than my one year old nephew. Needless to say I felt tiny.

"Are you gonna order pizza?" My best friend asked, sticking her head out from the kitchen she'd retreated to post lecture.

"When Lilly arrives."

"That better be soon, I'm starved." Courtney complained, flopping down on the couch beside me.

"You ate half the contents of my fridge, how can you still be hungry?"

"Hollow legs," she grinned.

"That doesn't even make sense," I shook my head at her weirdness.

"Hiding how you feel doesn't either." I wished she hadn't brought that back up but, in the first spot of good luck I've had in a while, someone was at the door. I went to answer it with Courtney's words of advice floating after me. "Don't leave it too long. She won't wait forever."

The familiar blonde hair and bright blue eyes of the woman standing on my front step comes as a relief. What can Courtney say in front of her? She may be a pain but I knew my best friend would never reveal anything unless I was comfortable with it. She kept my lesbianism a secret for years while I tried to face telling my parents.

"Can I come in?" Lilly asked, shivering slightly in the cold.

I pulled her in by her arm and hugged her tightly; to warm her up again.

""Laura's girl!" Courtney screeched, tugging her out of my arms and hugging her tightly. "Hey, sweetie. How are you? Let's go in here. You look freezing, are you cold? Do you want some food? I think we're getting pizza...." She led Lilly away and I rolled my eyes as I closed the door. When I went through to where they were sitting, Courtney had Lilly pretty much in her lap and was talking her ear off about how she once got a cold so bad she convinced herself she had pneumonia. She still, to this day, believes it.

I slumped onto the sofa beside the two of them, listening as Courtney babbled on with occasional input from Lilly. Before long it got to conversation about our relationship, as it was always bound to with Courtney around, and I quickly decided it was time to order some food.

"Is ham and pineapple okay with you guys?" I asked, dialing the number of my favourite pizza place. Their dough tasted amazing, it was super fluffy but still crunchy too. I had no idea how they did it but it kept me coming back. With assent all round I ordered the food.

When it was done there were no more ways to hide from my best friends assault and Lilly and I were given the third degree. We were only saved when the pizza guy arrived and Courtney launched herself off the couch to answer the door.