Chapter Eleven

Laura

The sun woke me, shining deep into my eyes; burning them. It was so bright that it was impossible not to be woken by it.

I squinted at the walls of my bedroom and tried to work out why Caitlin wasn't lying in bed beside me.

Then it all came flooding back. The argument, me threatening her and eventually getting her to leave. The breakdown I'd had afterwards and how Lilly had been there to comfort me.

But I didn't remember going to bed or Lilly leaving. Which begged the question: had she actually gone home?

I hauled myself out of bed padded into the living room. It was empty.

I went through into the kitchen and found that just as deserted. Maybe she had gone home. I felt a small twinge in the bottom of my stomach and ignored the fact I'd half hoped she would still be here.

I went down the corridor and found the door locked with the key lying on the door mat. Smart.

I went back into the kitchen and made myself a cup of coffee.

Sitting alone in the living room I couldn't help thinking over the time I'd spent with Lilly.

The first time she'd stayed behind to talk to me the day I heard her voice inside my head. I'd thought she was completely insane, I even thought I was insane. I still did but there were doubts now.

She'd been so convincing that day in the cafe and I couldn't help but wonder if she really could prove it, as she'd claimed. And last night when she'd come over and listened as I droned on and on about Caitlin. That couldn't have been fun.

I wouldn't have stayed if it'd been her. I would have been out of there quicker than lightening. I can't handle girls crying. It makes me want to cry too and I promised myself I wouldn't do that again. Although it seemed I'd broken my rule twice in the last week, why?

Caitlin wasn't that important to me and I already knew she wasn't faithful. That  was not the explanation as to why I'd been crying like that. I'd not cried since...

No. There was no point thinking about that now, it would only make me upset, and I'd already had two sobbing sessions this week. I was losing my touch. I couldn't control my emotions. But I would, I promised myself that whatever I felt from now on would be what I wanted to feel - nothing more, or less.

The phone went and I grabbed it thinking it was Lilly.

"Hey!" I nearly sang down the phone.

"Laura."

I could have screamed, it was Caitlin.

"What do you want?"

"You need me back, Laura! You can't cope without me, I'm the only one who understands you. I'm the only one who knows what to do! You know you need me!"

"I don't need anything. Especially not from you!" I snarled and hung up.

I had not even put the phone down when it went again, buzzing in my hand. I rejected the call and fought against the frustration building inside me.

What was her problem? Why couldn't she leave me alone and accept the fact I'd broken up with her? She was the one who went to some other girl for who knows what reason! If anything she should be the one wanting us to break up, not me!

My phone rang again and I switched it off before it could drive me crazy.

I decided to have a shower, to calm me.

As I stood under the warm water I wondered why Lilly had bothered to come over. I knew she thought I was her soul mate or something, but that didn't mean she liked me. She said she liked girls, but was that just a choice forced on her by what she believed? Was it just what she made herself think?