Chapter 6

Lydia sat between Agnes and Wanda with a vibrant smile on her face. Her dress was folded over the top half of her legs perfectly, "the Rotary club is finishing the stage as we speak. The Gazebo also has a fresh coat of paint. The final decorations will be installed through the town square." Lydia stared at the woman, unsure of her name. Nobody had said her name yet. "If you recognize the antique footlights, it is because they are from my store."

"And the chairs," Dottie asked stirring her drink.

"I'm sorry, Dottie. I didn't ask about the chairs."

"Then you better not ask me to chair any committees in the future." Everyone laughed but Lydia. She wasn't sure what the joke was. If anything, Dottie's comment was rude. "The devil is in the details, Bev."

"Bev," she repeated under her breath, wanting to remember the name.

"That's not the only place he is," Agnes whispered to them.

Wanda waved her hand, "as you all know, the Talent Show is the sole fundraiser for Westview Elementary." Lydia nodded along, "it has been eight years since I founded this club. The events just get bigger every season. That being said, it is imperative to keep a level head. I know this can all be a bit much." She wasn't sure how a talent show could be overwhelming. But Lydia feared asking. "In a few hours, it will be showtime. We need less cross chatter and more focus, okay?"

"Okay," Wanda muttered as she passed a tray of sandwiches to Lydia.

She looked at the food, recognizing a smell instantly. Grabbing the tray she gave it to Agnes. "You have something against sandwiches?"

"What," Lydia whispered. "No, I don't."

"Then take one," Agnes lifted the tray to her face.

Lydia turned away, the smell of pickles returning. "It's the pickles."

"Pickels," Agnes raised an eyebrow. "Who doesn't like pickles?"

"Me," Lydia pushed it away. "I like my sandwiches better without them." Her eyes stayed on her, "that's how he always made them."

"Who," Agnes questioned.

"Hm?"

"You said, that's how he always made them. Who's he?"

Lydia's lips parted, a confused look on her face. "I didn't say that."

"Honey," Agnes placed a hand on her shoulder. "You did."

"All of this is for the children."

"For the children," they all repeated.

"For the children," Wanda spoke afterward. However, Lydia was still trying to figure out why she had said what she did. Who used to make her sandwiches? She didn't remember anyone: nobody but Wanda.

"I want you all to give yourself a big hand-" Wanda began clapping her hands, half a cookie in her mouth. "At the appropriate time." Lydia placed a hand on her shoulder. A sign of comfort. "Let's review our event etiquette." The girl was starting to regret coming. "Dresscode is upscale garden party."

"Garden party," Lydia whispered. "What's that look like?"

"Like Dottie."

"And I'm irritated," Dottie cut off all the talking. "Tickets for tonight are sold out. Now you can clap." Lydia clapped her hands together, and so did everyone else. "And stop." They did.

"How is anyone doing this sober," Agnes asked them. "Want some, Lydia."

"No," Wanda responded for her.