Chapter 18

"Did you get those photos back yet?" Lydia asked Happy as he got ready to leave for work.

He smiled, "I dropped them off yesterday. It usually takes a week."

"Why?"

"That's just how the developing process works, I guess." Lydia pursed her lips. The day before had been of the best days of her life. It was full of adventure, real genuine human adventure. Exploring the city wasn't something she had ever been allowed to do before. Spending one of her best days with Happy only made everything better. He was the only person in her life now, and she was grateful for that. "Don't wait up for me tonight. I have a fundraising thing to do."

That caught her attention, "fundraiser?"

"For the salvation army," he explained.

Lydia processed the words in her head. "What's the salvation army? Are you saving an army?"

"Technically, it's not for them. I think it's run by them. It's for victims of the blip and helping them find new homes."

"Oh," Lydia nodded. "That's very charitable. Can I come?"

Happy saw the hope in her eyes but shook his head. "I would say yes, but May is running it. They know you."

May. It was a familiar name. "May?"

"May Parker."

"Peter Parker," Lydia figured out how she knew the name. "You know Peter?"

Happy snorted, "of course, I know Peter. Tony made me babysit him in Germany, and then afterward."

Lydia hadn't thought about Germany much since her return. It was the last time she saw Tony before his death. The last true memory she had of him where she wasn't devastated by Natasha's death. "Right. I forgot."

Happy readjusted his tie. "Hey," he approached her. "I'll be back by eleven, absolute latest." Lydia smiled at him, knowing he would return. "How about I stop by that 24/7 bakery and pick up some cake?"

That caused her smile to grow, "only if it's chocolate."

"Well, of course, it's going to be chocolate. Who do you think I am?"

Lydia rolled her eyes, "have fun tonight."

"I will," he seemed excited to go. "Mostly going to drop off a check and inform Peter that Nick Fury is going to call him."

That caused her heart to race, "you're talking to Fury?"

"Yeah, why?"

Happy Hogan was a lot of things, and reliable was one of them. However, the man could never say no to Nick Fury. "Does he know about me?"

"I don't think so," he offered her a reassuring smile. "If he does, then he's doing a good job at hiding it." That made her feel better. "If you need me, you know how to use the emergency phone."

"I know-"

"And if the phone rings, don't answer the first time. I'll speak on the voicemail, and then you answer."

"I know." They had a good system going. If the phone rang, she was never allowed to answer. Only when it went to voicemail, and she could confirm it was Happy, was when she could answer. "I know the rules."

"Okay," he grabbed his briefcase. "I'll see you tonight."

"Bye, Happy," Lydia called out as he walked out the door. She watched as it closed behind him, and she rested her head on the side of the couch. "Have fun."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lydia had a great day yesterday, but today had been harder. Happy was out in the real world with someone she knew. Peter Parker wasn't a friend per se, but they had worked together in the past. They were close in age, and he was always very kind to her. The last time she saw him was eight months ago at Tony's funeral.