Chapter 47

"That woman in your memory," America began. "That was Christine, right?"

Stephen paused, looking down for a moment. "Yes," he confirmed. "That's Christine." Lydia didn't know much about the woman. Only that they once dated, and she had married someone else. "How do you know her?"

"From other you."

"They were together?"

"Nope. They don't talk." Lydia frowned. She stepped to the side, not wanting to collide with a person passing walking by. "He blew it."

Lydia snorted. Stephen glared at her, but there was no heat behind it. "Of course he did." That didn't surprise him.

America glanced at the man. "Did you blow it with your Christine?"

"Yeah, I guess I did."

"Why?"

"It's complicated-"

"More complicated than being chased by a witch through the multiverse?"

"Yes, actually," he said before pointing at Lydia. "And if you want to hear about something even more complicated, ask Lydia about her love life."

Lydia's head whipped in his direction so fast that she was amazed she didn't get whiplash. Her eyes were wide and full of disbelief. Stephen raised an eyebrow at her, almost challenging her to question him. She had no idea how he even knew about her feelings for Wanda. "How did you-"

"Please," he held up a hand to stop her. "I've gotten to know you way too well these past few weeks. I definitely picked up on your feelings. You're like a very open, sad book." Lydia pursed her lips. They kept walking, crossing another street.

"Wait, you're in love with Wanda?" America was shocked. "She's trying to kill me."

"That's a recent development," Lydia pointed out. "She wasn't always like this." Wanda used to be different.

America opened her mouth to say something but quickly decided against it. She didn't know Wanda like Lydia did. They had a long history, that much was obvious, and Lydia was still willing to go against Wanda to help her. The last thing America needed to do was start an argument.

Lydia looked ahead, but what she saw caused her steps to falter. In front of them was a gigantic bronze statue of what looked like Stephen. The two others noticed as well. None of them spoke as they approached the statue. It was located in front of the Sanctum. There was a plaque below. Lydia read over the words.

Then she reread them to make sure she read it right the first time.

The statue was a memorial to this universes Stephen Strange, who gave his life fighting Thanos.

"Shit." That meant there wasn't a Stephen Strange to help them.

"Gave his life fighting Thanos?"

"Yeah, see? We aren't all bad."

Lydia stared at the words. "How are we supposed to get home now?"

"And if you're dead here, then whose the Master of the Sanctum?" Lydia thought of Wong. She hoped it was him. He might be able to help them.

Suddenly, the doors to the Sanctum opened. Stephen walked around the side to see who it was. "Shit."

His tone was alarming. "What?" Lydia walked to his side, following his gaze. An unfamiliar man stood in the doorway. He had long dark hair that matched his skin, with a green robe that complemented him nicely.

"Do you know him?"

"Yeah. His name is Mordo," he explained. "He's actually the first person to let me into Kamar-Taj."