Chapter 15

TWO MONTHS LATER

Lydia had been alone for a long time, and a lot had happened. She found things out about herself. She liked cooking and was now very good at it. She also really liked knitting. It was an easy hobby and allowed for her to make clothing.

After everything, she had to save money. All the funds leftover in Natasha's name were running low. Hideouts became found, and things got left behind. Tony had left her a significant amount of money, but Tony wasn't here. Lydia never called Pepper, too scared to hear her voice. So, she was on her own. It became easier in time.

Natasha had been gone for a very long time, and at first, she thought this pain would last forever. But slowly, things began to brighten. As if the sun was finally shining on her skin again.

Lydia hadn't seen a single person from her past since leaving Wanda in Westview. Her last call was to Clint, but she never saw him. That part of her life was over now. This was her new normal.

Agatha had revealed a lot of information to her. Everything in her life had been flipped upside down, but Lydia was sorting out the pieces and putting them all back together. Of course, that took time, but that's all she had anymore.

Time. She had so much of it now. Her days started to become repetitive. She lived on the outskirts of New York City, the place she called home for so many years. Tony let her live in the Avengers Tower, but that was long gone. And so were the Avengers. However, Lydia liked being in the city. It made her feel close to them. Natasha had a single standing hideout on the edge of the town over a creepy noodle restaurant. Lydia never saw anyone inside, but that didn't matter.

She had been there for a month and didn't plan on leaving. Not unless someone found her. This was her last possible safe house in the United States. In the folder she had been given, there were a few others. Norway, Germany, but Lydia couldn't cross the ocean.

For now, New York City was her home, and hopefully, it would stay that way. Lydia held a brown bag close to her chest as she kept her head down. She smiled at a few familiar faces. There was an older couple down the street she bought her fruits and vegetables from. But standard stuff such as milk, cheese, and bread was purchased at the grocery store. Lydia went once a week but always on different days.

Taking the key from her pocket, she unlocked the gate and walked up the stairs towards her home. Lydia's hair was perfectly tucked into a beanie, and once she was out of sight from others, she ripped it off. Her identity was still unknown to the world, but some knew of her now. They could be looking for her. Lydia knew her white hair was a giveaway. It was the one thing she could not hide.

Stopping outside her door, she pulled out a second key and stepped inside. Turning on the lights, she made her way into the kitchen. Setting down the bag, Lydia began pulling out the items. Her eyes caught sight of something down the hallway, an open door. She never left the doors open.

Slowly she set down the loaf of bread. Lydia carefully reached under the shelf and grabbed a gun. Natasha had placed it there, and she never removed it. The woman was always incredibly careful.

Lydia turned off the safety and lifted the gun. Walking on the tips of her toes, she made her way around the kitchen wall. Someone was with her, but the question was who. "I know you're here," she spoke. Stepping down the hallway, she saw the light turn on in the living room. It was confirmation of what she already knew. "What do you want?"

She turned the corner nervously, the gun aimed in front of her. A man stood by the window, his body hunched against the wall. "This place is a shithole. You know that, right?" It was Happy Hogan. He was wearing a suit with a thin tie.