Chapter 19

Lydia sat at the table. Her hands moved quickly as she knitted a scarf. Across from her was Dum-E, the robot Tony made long before he died. She wasn't exactly sure why Happy had it but never asked. Truthfully, the robot was the only company she had most days.

Recently, Happy was leaving earlier and coming home later. Lydia was starting to miss him. She didn't have anyone else in her life. They were all gone. A year ago, in her time, she was different. Technically, that was over five years ago. The timeline was weird. She had been gone for so long, but it felt as if no time had passed.

She glanced at the door, wishing that Happy would walk through it. It was unlikely. He had said before he left it was going to be another late night. That had been happening for a while. Happy spent a lot of late nights at the office May worked at.

Of course, Lydia was happy for him. Happy seemed to really like May, and that was a good thing. But Lydia didn't have anyone else right now. It was just her and Happy in his upscale apartment. It had been just them for over five months now, and she had gotten used to not having to share the older man. Now, she had to share him with May.

The TV was playing the Italian news. Since Happy was with May constantly, she had heard some phone calls about Peter. Something was happening in Europe. It started with a hydro-monster that a green man had stopped. Then a fire monster. It seemed like a lot was going on. The "Night Monkey" was obviously Peter. Lydia didn't know him well, but they fought together against Thanos. They were friends but would probably never see each other again. However, Peter was the only friend Lydia had ever made close to her age. She was a year older, but that didn't matter.

Lydia liked living in Happy's apartment. She went out occasionally but typically stayed inside. After revealing herself to SWORD, more people knew about her. Lydia had to stay vigilant. Happy was hiding her from Nick Fury as well, meaning he also had to be extra cautious. Nobody could know where she was. It was safer that way. It always had been.

Suddenly, the phone rang. Lydia threw the scarf on the table, causing Dum-E to freak out and toss tea everywhere. The white-haired girl dashed towards the phone. The rule was to wait until Happy spoke on the voicemail machine before answering.

A moment later, the phone stopped ringing. "Hey, kid-" it was Happy.

Lydia instantly picked up the phone. "Happy."

"Hey, kid," he said. "Listen." She knew by his tone something was wrong. A million negative thoughts entered her mind. Had something happened to him? Were they in danger? "Something happened with Peter." Lydia glanced at the TV. She thought the troubles were over now that the last elemental, as the TV called it, was killed. It appears she was wrong. The young boy was still in danger. "I'm not sure what, but I'm going to help."

"Okay," she whispered. "I'll come to." If Peter was in danger, then she could help. Lydia was strong. It had been months since she used her abilities, but she could do it if she wanted to.

They made a deal when she first moved into his apartment. Lydia had never wanted to be a hero. That life was forced upon her. The deal was if she stayed with him, she would live a normal life. No hero work. But she knew one day that would end. Happy didn't want that day to be today. He wanted to keep her safe from the world for as long as possible.

"No," he said. "I need you to stay there where it's safe."

She shook her head. "I can help."

"I know." Happy did know that. "I don't know what's wrong. It could be nothing." Lydia knew it wasn't.

"But it could be something." She sat down on the couch, pulling her knees into her chest. The girl suddenly felt terrified at the idea of being separated from Happy. Every time she was separated from those she loves, they died. "Do you really have to go?"