Chapter 46

Lydia hadn't taken the time to realize the situation she was in until now. She was in an entirely different universe, far from everything she knew. Far from home. Far from Happy. She couldn't imagine the worry he currently felt. A lot of time had passed, and she had zero way to contact him. No way of telling him the situation she currently found herself in. No way to return to her world. What if she couldn't? What if she was stuck here forever?

Those thoughts ran wild inside her mind until she stepped out of the alley. The city around her was entirely different. It was clearly New York, but very different. The buildings were covered in plants, making the city look more beautiful and alive. It was captivating. Lydia had never seen anything like it.

"Wow," she breathed, taking a moment to absorb the scene. The air felt cleaner. It was something she hadn't noticed before but did now.

The three moved together, approaching a crosswalk. As Stephen went to step onto the street, America yanked him back just before a car could slam into him. He was confused, looking up at the traffic light. "We walk on red?" It was the opposite of what they knew.

"Rule one of Multiversal travel, you don't know anything." Lydia hummed, not bothering to speak. America was the expert in multiverse travel. They had to trust her right now.

"Right."

Lydia felt a breeze run up her spine. She shivered, pulling at her shirt. That was when she remembered there was a giant hole in the back. "Shit," she whispered, looking around. A few people stared at her strangely, probably wondering what had happened.

"What?" Stephen was immediately concerned.

The light changed, and they began walking. "My entire back is exposed."

He glanced at her. "So?"

"So?" Lydia waved her hands, repeating his question. "So, I look like I was lit on fire." But there wasn't anything they could do about it.

"Okay," Stephen dragged the words out. "So, what's rule number two?" It was a change in topic directed at America. There wasn't a response. "America?"

Lydia glanced to her left, realizing then that America wasn't there. "America?" She had been there a few seconds ago. The panic was almost immediate. They couldn't afford to lose her. She was their only way back to their reality.

"America!" Lydia pulled them off the street, not wanting to be caught there when the light changed.

"Rule number two," America's voice spoke from behind them. The white-haired girl spun around to see the younger girl holding a red bowl. "Always find food. I usually look for pizza." Lydia stared at the pizza, which was shaped like meatballs. "Pizza balls."

"How does the sauce stay on that?" She wondered out loud.

"How did you pay for that?" Stephen's question was more important.

America began walking down the sidewalk, causing them to follow. "It was free." Lydia raised an eyebrow. "Most universe's food is free. It's odd you have to pay for it." America had a point. Food and water are basic necessities. Paying for something a person had the right to was sort of ridiculous.

"Hey," a man yelled. "You didn't pay for that."

Apparently, it wasn't free. "Crap, maybe it wasn't free."

The older man stalked toward them. "Pizza Papa always gets paid."

"Okay, Pizza Papa, relax. She's a kid and was hungry," Stephen defended the young girl.

"Relax, Doctor Strange." The man knew him. Lydia found that to be a good sign. That meant this universe also had a Doctor Stephen Strange. "Where did you get this cape?" He pulled on the fabric. Lydia immediately became defensive, stepping closer to the man. "Feels authentic."