Chapter 12

The following morning, everything felt different. Wanda was refusing to do anything. She wouldn't leave her bed. Lydia had no idea what to do. She doubted her trust for Wanda, but the twins needed someone, and Pietro was missing.

She stood in the kitchen, preparing breakfast for the boys. Dropping toast on two plates, Lydia reached for them. However, the green glass plates started to change. "What the hell," she jumped back. The glass plates were now white paper plates. Lydia tapped the plate. Nothing happened. After a moment of uncertainty, she grabbed the plates. Turning around, the girl nearly ran into Wanda. "Wanda," Lydia gasped. "Hi. Good morning."

"Hi," Wanda moved past her and into the kitchen.

"All right." Lydia decided to ignore her cold greeting and shuffled into the living room. "I made you both peanut butter toast. I hope you're hungry."

"Thanks," Tommy continued to play his videogame with Billy. "Is mom in there?"

"Yeah, she just walked into the kitchen." Of course, Lydia had serious doubts about Westview. Especially after last night. It was clear her fears were true. This was Wanda. All of Westview was Wanda. Right now, Wanda was in the middle of some sort of emotional breakdown. As much as Lydia wanted to figure out what was going on, she couldn't. Wanda was unstable, and someone had to look after the twins. "What game is this?"

"Have you seen your father," Wanda walked into the living room with a bowl of cereal.

"No," Tommy muttered nervously.

Billy stopped playing to look at her, "do you want to go find him?"

"Yeah," it was a good suggestion. "I can take the boys, and we can-"

"No," Wanda cut Lydia off. "If he doesn't want to be here, I can't do anything about it." That alarmed the three of them. Wanda reached over and grabbed the TV remote.

"Mom," Billy said. "Last night Uncle Pete said something about re-killing dad." Lydia had been thinking about that as well. What did he mean? What did he know?

Wanda pointed at him, "believe nothing that mans says. He is not your uncle."

Lydia wanted to be alarmed by her words, but at this point, nothing was surprising her. "Then who is he?"

Wanda paused, almost unsure of what to say. "Here's the thing." There was another pause, and she set down the bowl. "I am your mother. I know you are counting on me to have all the answers, but I have no answers." She was almost laughing. "None! I have no answers. Zero. Zip. None." Lydia stared at her. "I am starting to believe that everything is," Wanda sighed, "meaningless. You can come up with your own conclusion. That's just where I'm at."

"Wanda," Lydia hesitantly stood up. "Are you all right?"

"Are any of us? Now, move over." Billy moved to the side and allowed his mother to sit between them. Conveniently there was a knock on the door. Wanda waved her hand, and the door opened. A happy-looking Agnes strolled in. "Hey, Agnes. Come on in." Wanda never bothered to check who was at the door. She already knew. "I would get up, but I just don't want to."

Agnes's smile faltered for half a second. It didn't take the woman long to figure out that Wanda wasn't doing all right. "Boys, why don't you come over to my house so we can give your mom some alone time?"

Wanda gasped, "really? Are you sure?"

"I am super sure," but her voice told a different story. "Come on, boys."

"Mom," Billy whined. "Do we have to?"

"Yes," Wanda spoke. "Lydia, will you keep an eye on them?"

"Me?" She was shocked, "you don't want me to stay?" It was clear Wanda wasn't doing well mentally, and Lydia had no idea what that could mean for them.